Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Juan Jose Aragones Guillen <ja...@kana.com> on 2011/12/20 12:36:25 UTC

Using cactus with maven

Hello,
I know cactus have been moved to the Attic but my supervisor has given me the job to make he project work using this plugin with maven 3.0.3.
We are using Jenkins for CI and the idea is to run cactus from there (we already run junit tests as it's possible to invoke top-level maven targets just writing the goals).
Right now I'm testing cactus with the project in which we run the junit tests (no worries, several VM's and snapshots -and not touching the base project-  just in case I screw something). But here are several thing I don't really understand. I'll only write some questions and, if I get any feedback will go on with the questions:
- I'm using "mvn cactus:cactifyear" as the idea is to create an EAR and get it deployed in Websphere using WAS6 plugin for maven. The thing is I don't really understand what does cactifyear do or how it works. I have no idea what to use as srcfile. Here you have what I have in my pom.xml:
<project>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.cactus</groupId>
          <artifactId>cactus.integration.maven2</artifactId>
          <version>1.8.1</version>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>
    <build>
        <pluginManagement>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.apache.cactus</groupId>
                <artifactId>cactus.integration.maven2</artifactId>
                <version>1.8.1</version>
                <configuration>
                   <srcFile>/PATH/TO/FILE/file.ear</srcFile>
                   <desttFile>cactifiedByMaven2.ear</destFile>
                   <cactusWar>
                       <context>/</context>
                       <version>2.3</version>
                   </cactusWar>
                </configuration>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                      <id>cactus-cactifyear</id>
                       <phase>pre-integration-test</phase>
                       <goals>
                          <goal>cactifyear</goal>
                       </goals>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
            </plugin>
        </pluginManagement>
    </build>
</project>

For what is the /PATH/TO/FILE/file.ear used? I tried with one EAR in my project and got one cactifiedByMaven2.ear in each of the modules of my project plus one cactifiedByMaven2.ear and one empty folder named cactusAND_A_NUMBER.dir for each module in the project root directory. The output while running was something like this:
[INFO] Building application1 1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]
[INFO] --- cactus.integration.maven2:1.8.1:cactifyear (default-cli) @ my.company.application1 ---
[info] Adding: aspectjrt-1.5.3.jar
[info] Adding: cactus.core.framework.uberjar.javaEE.14-1.8.1.jar
[info] Adding: commons-logging-1.1.jar
[info] Adding: commons-httpclient-3.1.jar
[info] Adding: junit-3.8.2.jar
[INFO] Building war: /PROJECT/ROOT//DIRECTORY/application1/cactus892519517cactus.war
[INFO] Building ear: /PROJECT/ROOT//DIRECTORY/application1/cactifiedByMaven2.ear
[INFO]
[INFO] Building application2 1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]
[INFO] --- cactus.integration.maven2:1.8.1:cactifyear (default-cli) @ com.kana.sem.applications2 ---
[info] Adding: aspectjrt-1.5.3.jar
[info] Adding: cactus.core.framework.uberjar.javaEE.14-1.8.1.jar
[info] Adding: commons-logging-1.1.jar
[info] Adding: commons-httpclient-3.1.jar
[info] Adding: junit-3.8.2.jar
[INFO] Building war: /PROJECT/ROOT//DIRECTORY/application1/cactus892519517cactus.war
[INFO] Building ear: /PROJECT/ROOT//DIRECTORY/application1/cactifiedByMaven2.ear
[INFO]
[INFO] Building application3 1.0-SNAPSHOT

The srcfile is like a schema to create an EAR for each module?

Thanks,
 JUAN JOSÉ ARAGONÉS

[cid:image001.jpg@01CCBF05.6053FB40]<http://www.lagan.com/>BUILD'N'RELEASE ENGINEER

e : jaragones@kana.com<ma...@kana.com>

EMEA Headquarters
209 Airport Road West
Belfast, Northern Ireland BT3 9EZ

SOLUTIONS<http://www.lagan.com/our-solutions.aspx> | CASE STUDIES<http://www.lagan.com/resource-library.aspx> | KANA.COM<http://www.kana.com/home/home.php> | LAGAN.COM<http://www.lagan.com/>

[cid:image002.gif@01CCBF05.6053FB40]<http://www.lagan.com/rss/feeds.aspx>

[cid:image003.gif@01CCBF05.6053FB40]<http://www.facebook.com/home.php#%21/pages/Lagan-Technologies/174507632593437>

[cid:image004.gif@01CCBF05.6053FB40]<http://www.twitter.com/lagan_business>

[cid:image005.gif@01CCBF05.6053FB40]<http://www.linkedin.com/companies/lagan-technologies>

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). It may be subject to legal, professional or other privilege and further distribution of it is strictly prohibited without our authority. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to and must not disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it, and should notify us immediately

RE: Using cactus with maven

Posted by Juan Jose Aragones Guillen <ja...@kana.com>.
Hello
I got cactus to work and create the EAR files for each module (so much thanks for your help!). I'm now struggling with something else: I have to get these EARs to be used by WID. I've understood that the right plugin to be used is was6:servicedeploy:
Reading http://mojo.codehaus.org/was6-maven-plugin/examples/generating-process-server-ears.html and it's example I just don't get it right. I already have the EARs so I assume I only really need from this example "A POM project that calls ServiceDeploy" getting the EAR filenames some way. That's the first stop: how do I get it to use the plugin with each of the EARs?.

Thanks,
 JUAN JOSÉ ARAGONÉS

AW: Using cactus with maven

Posted by Ch...@t-systems.com.
Hello

Your console output shows three EARs being built (application 1 - 3). So I assume you have set up a multi module build. Therefore I would guess you have something like three <module> sections in your POM. These <module> sections are the EAR specific parts I was talking of.

If you need some explanation on this, there is a free online Maven book called "Maven: The Complete Reference".

Best regards
Christian Schima