Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by Susan Cline <ho...@pacbell.net> on 2016/10/28 17:18:53 UTC

Proposed November Podling report for Edgent

Hi,

Here is the draft of the podling report I volunteered to file for the month of November.  Please respond with any comments by EOD on Monday, October 31st.

Thanks,

Susan

Apache Edgent is a programming model and micro-kernel style runtime that
can be embedded in gateways and small footprint edge devices enabling
local, real-time, analytics on the continuous streams of data coming from
equipment, vehicles, systems, appliances, devices and sensors of all kinds
(for example, Raspberry Pis or smart phones). Working in conjunction with
centralized analytic systems, Apache Edgent provides efficient and timely
analytics across the whole IoT ecosystem: from the center to the edge.

Edgent has been incubating since 2016-02-29.

The three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1. Create and expand a diverse community of contributors and committers around Edgent project
2. Create the first Apache release of Edgent
3. Improve and extend samples, examples and documentation

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

* No

* A well attended meetup in Plano, TX about Apache Edgent was held on September 9th
"Sensor Data Analytics Acceleration with Apache Edgent"
http://www.meetup.com/DFW-Sensor-Technology/events/233150402/

* A presentation about Apache Edgent was presented on October 21st @ Open Source India 2016
Approximately 400 attendees were present.

* A presentation about Apache Edgent, Streaming Analytics and Weather Company Data was presented at World of Watson in Las Vegas on October 26th.

* A demo about Apache Edgent was presented at World of Watson in Las Vegas on October 24th.
"IoT Device Events to Streaming Analytics in 15 Minutes with Bluemix"

* For the months of September and October four new community members either subscribed to the edgent-dev mailing list, or opened JIRAs.

* A new build system was created using Gradle. The initial contribution for this work came from two community contributors.  The follow up work was done by committers.

According to JIRA, the project has added the following:

* September: 11 new issues; 15 issues resolved.

* October: 46 new issues; 23 issues resolved.

* October activity was almost exclusively due to readying for the first Edgent release.

Date of last release:

* We have not created an Apache release, but are working on one to be ready soon. During the September and October time period we made build changes and handled licensing work and are poised to create our first release.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

* In May, we added two new committers and PPMC members, Kathy Saunders and Queenie Ma.

Re: Proposed November Podling report for Edgent

Posted by Kun-Lung Wu <kw...@gmail.com>.
It looks very good.  Thank you, Susan.

Kun-Lung

Posted by Susan Cline <ho...@pacbell.net>.
Thanks, Kathey.  That is a good point.  Will do …

Susan

Posted by Susan Cline <ho...@pacbell.net>.
Could one more mentor sign off please?  I think that is helpful…

Dan or Luciano?

Many thanks,

Susan

Posted by Susan Cline <ho...@pacbell.net>.