Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Simon Peter Lwanjo <sl...@preg-tech.co.ug> on 2011/09/20 09:15:34 UTC

Re: Tomcat won't start

Hi,

Some help from the forum - i am relatively new to administering Tomcat.

-

Re: Tomcat won't start

Posted by Simon Peter Lwanjo <sl...@preg-tech.co.ug>.
well next time....

Luckily i got the problem solved - all sites are now back up. i removed
tomcat55 instance from subsys using rm command
Rm /var/lock/subsys/tomcat55 and did a reboot, restarted tomcat55 and voila!

Cheers and thanks,

Re: Tomcat won't start

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Re: Tomcat won't start

Posted by Simon Peter Lwanjo <sl...@preg-tech.co.ug>.
Hi Andre',

as you will, i am trying to get all the help i can get from any source,
reason i indicated the OS type and tomcat version and the log errors!!

i could chance on someone who has used a similar combination and encountered
a similar problem.-

thanks for laboring to reply all the same - i will definitely try your
leads.

Cheers,

Simon

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I think that for this issue, you would get better/quicker help from a Linux
> admin forum.
>
> I am not trying to brush you off, but this looks like an issue having to do
> with the way recent versions of Linux manage "services", rather than with
> Tomcat itself.
> The expertise of the people on this list is with Tomcat itself, rather than
> with all the different ways in which different OS-es manage such "services".
>
> This being said, if you have problems finding out why Tomcat died in the
> first place, then this would be the right list to ask.
> But then, provide :
> - the Tomcat version (x.y.z)
> - the Java version
> - the (full) OS and version
> - the lines in the Tomcat log files that are relevant
> (this can be in /var/log/tomcat55/*.log, or /var/log/daemon, or similar
> places (also depending on the OS))
>

> Simon Peter Lwanjo wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some help from the forum - i am relatively new to administering Tomcat.
>>

>>> Apache Tomcat on one of our Redhat Linux servers won't start. The service
>>> status says "tomcat55 dead but subsys locked"
>>>
>>> You cannot kill the service because the PID is not locatable.
>>>

>>> Anyone?
>>>

>>> Simon
>>>

>> -

Simon P. Lwanjo
Technical Director

Preg-Tech Communications Ltd
Authorised for Shyam Telecom (Uganda & Rwanda)
Plot 822 Mawanda Road – Kamwokya (K’la).
Show rm: Serena Conference center – Suite 333
P.O.Box 34902 Kampala (U)
Tel: 256-414-666829, 256-712-659905
Email: slwanjo@yahoo.com , slwanjo@preg-tech.co.ug
www.preg-tech.co.ug