Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> on 2008/01/24 20:36:18 UTC

Woden OSGi and Eclipse Plug-in Proposals

I've been thinking for a while about bundling Woden as an OSGi bundle and
exposing Woden functionality in Eclipse. Although we have more pressing
work for M8 I wanted to capture what I'd been thinking so we can get
community feedback and look at integrating Woden into OSGi and Eclipse.
I've created two proposals on the wiki. Please take a look when you have
some time.

Woden OSGi Proposal
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Woden/WodenOSGi

Woden Eclipse Plug-in Proposal
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Woden/WodenEclipse

Thanks,

Lawrence

Re: Woden OSGi and Eclipse Plug-in Proposals

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Felix and Equinox both implement the OSGi R4 service platform. In theory,
you should be able to deploy a bundle to either Felix or Equinox. (In
practice we should test on both and probably Knopflerfish [1] as well.)
Equinox also provides some optional bundles to allow adopters to make use
of the Eclipse plug-in registry.

AFAIK, Axis2 does not provide any OSGi bundles. Axis2 has a number of
dependencies, including Woden. I think we should start by driving as many
of these dependencies as possible to provide OSGi bundles. (Others include
Apache WS commons projects XmlSchema and Axiom.) This should make it
easier to provide Axis2 as a bundle. FWIW, I have seen a few different
projects that expose Axis2 via an OSGi bundle.

[1] http://www.knopflerfish.org/

Lawrence

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
01/24/2008 03:19 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc
woden-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject
Re: Woden OSGi and Eclipse Plug-in Proposals

+1

Can you say anything about differences or commonality between Felix and
Equinox? Does Axis2 provide OSGi bundles? Thx.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, AoT, DE
Process and Portfolio Management, Rational Division

phone:      +1-905-413-3077, TL 313-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-3831, TL 313-3831
fax:            +1-905-413-4920, TL 313-4920
mobile:     +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

Lawrence Mandel/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
01/24/2008 02:36 PM

Please respond to