Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi> on 2002/06/11 23:55:00 UTC

How to add new blocks (jars) to existing phoenix application (sar)

Hi,
suppose I have Phoenix application in sar file. Suppose someone else can
write new block for my application (and add it by modifying assembly.xml and
config.xml)
The question is: how this new block (extra jar) can be included into
existing application (if not in sar, where new block can be placed under
SAR-INF or under phoenix-lib, latter imho is not good)?

Andrei

Re: Installer? Re: How to add new blocks (jars) to existing phoenix application (sar)

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 12 June 2002 02:30 am, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> > road at least. Its something that would be useful over here (for now our
> > installer will add the blocks and modify files as needed).
>
> What installer your referring?

InstallAnywhere. The new v5 release will allow easy modification of text and
xml documents inside of a jar.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Installer? Re: How to add new blocks (jars) to existing phoenix application (sar)

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Peter,

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 11 June 2002 06:14 pm, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> > If I want to augment the running .sar without messing with it?
> > IE: any proposals?
>
> Ohh ... hot blocks!
> Not available in the current Phoenix version - but very desirable.
> Someone was talking/working on that recently - could be a good idea to
> check the Phoenix mail archive.  I can't remember who it was but I'm
> sure it was sometime in the last 4-6 weeks.

I may end up implementing it in the future, but thats a month or two down the

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi and thanks for response.

application redeployed

In this case I have to teach a customer how to build sar... Requires a lot
of documentation...
What are the options of adding new block (in jar) file to already deployed
Phoenix application.
I see the following choices:
1. add it to phoenix/lib - this will not always work
2. look for some location where this jar can be found (e.g. inside SAR-INF
etc).
Other ideas?

> p.s. There is nothing to stop you putting in place a block that does
> active loading of pluggable components.

Can not say anything before I've tried this, but as I see it, this way new
components will not be phoenix blocks any more and it will not be possible
to manage them via assembly.xml and config.xml.

Andrei

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: How to add new blocks (jars) to existing phoenix application (sar)

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Andrei Ivanov wrote:

>Hi,
>suppose I have Phoenix application in sar file. Suppose someone else can
>write new block for my application (and add it by modifying assembly.xml and
>config.xml)
>The question is: how this new block (extra jar) can be included into
>existing application (if not in sar, where new block can be placed under
>SAR-INF or under phoenix-lib, latter imho is not good)?
>
>Andrei

The new block (preumably packaged as a jar file) would normally be added
to the SAR-INF/lib directory and your application redeployed as a new
.sar file containing the additional .jar file.

Steve.