Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr> on 2013/02/27 13:49:42 UTC

Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Hello developers !

I'm a student at the french university "Ensimag" and currently doing my master research on "Software security". Interested by cloud computing, I chose for subject : "Secure hadoop cluster inter-cloud environment".
My idea is to develop a framework in order to improve the security of the Hadoop cluster running on the cloud of my uni. I have started by checking the "Hadoop research projects" proposed  on Hadoop Wiki and the following subject fits with mine:

"Hadoop Security Design:
An end-to-end proposal for how to support authentication and client side data encryption/decryption, so that large data sets can be stored in a public HDFS and only jobs launched by authenticated users can map-reduce or browse the data"

I would like to know if there are already some developers on it so we can discuss... To be honest, I'm kinda a "beginner" regarding Hadoop and cloud cumputing so if would be really great if you had some advices or hints for my research.

Best regards.
Thomas

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr>.
Thank you everyone for your answer. It gives me a lot of paths for reflection.

Thanks Larry, I'll have to dig more about the "inter-cloud" system my uni is using.

Thomas

________________________________
 De : Charles Earl <ch...@me.com>
À : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>
Envoyé le : Mercredi 27 février 2013 16h09
Objet : Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Thomas,
Interesting distinctions articulated, thanks.
I knew of an effort called GarewayFS that had inter-cluster secure federation as one goal, there are some similarities to Knox.

Hi Thomas -

 De : Charles Earl <ch...@me.com>
À : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>

 De : Charles Earl <ch...@me.com>
À : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>

 De : Charles Earl <ch...@me.com>
À : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>

Posted by Charles Earl <ch...@me.com>.
Thomas,

Posted by Charles Earl <ch...@me.com>.
Thomas,

Posted by Charles Earl <ch...@me.com>.
Thomas,

Posted by Charles Earl <ch...@me.com>.
Thomas,

Posted by Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Thomas -

Posted by Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Thomas -

Posted by Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Thomas -

Posted by Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Thomas -

Posted by Charles Earl <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Earl <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Earl <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Earl <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
please start a new thread for your questions poonam

if your data is in plain files then you can do bin/hadoop dfs -cat file/path

you can copy the file to local  with bin/hadoop fs -copyToLocal
[-ignorecrc] [-crc] URI <localdst>

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr>.

 De : Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>
À : user@hadoop.apache.org; Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr>

--

Regards,Ouch Whisper
010101010101

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr>.

 De : Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>
À : user@hadoop.apache.org; Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr>

--

Regards,Ouch Whisper
010101010101

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr>.

 De : Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>
À : user@hadoop.apache.org; Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr>

--

Regards,Ouch Whisper
010101010101

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr>.

 De : Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>
À : user@hadoop.apache.org; Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr>

--

Regards,Ouch Whisper
010101010101

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>.
Hello Thomas,

you can look into this project. This is exactly what you are doing, but at
a larger scale.
https://github.com/intel-hadoop/project-rhino/

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Panshul

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello developers !
>
> I'm a student at the french university "Ensimag" and currently doing my
> master research on "Software security". Interested by cloud computing, I
> chose for subject : "Secure hadoop cluster inter-cloud environment".
> My idea is to develop a framework in order to improve the security of the
> Hadoop cluster running on the cloud of my uni. I have started by checking
> the "Hadoop research projects" proposed  on Hadoop Wiki and the following
> subject fits with mine:
>
> "Hadoop Security Design:
> An end-to-end proposal for how to support authentication and client side
> data encryption/decryption, so that large data sets can be stored in a
> public HDFS and only jobs launched by authenticated users can map-reduce or
> browse the data"
>
> I would like to know if there are already some developers on it so we can
> discuss... To be honest, I'm kinda a "beginner" regarding Hadoop and
> cloud cumputing so if would be really great if you had some advices or
> hints for my research.
>
> Best regards.
> Thomas

Ouch Whisper
010101010101

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>.
Hello Thomas,

you can look into this project. This is exactly what you are doing, but at
a larger scale.
https://github.com/intel-hadoop/project-rhino/

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Panshul

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello developers !
>
> I'm a student at the french university "Ensimag" and currently doing my
> master research on "Software security". Interested by cloud computing, I
> chose for subject : "Secure hadoop cluster inter-cloud environment".
> My idea is to develop a framework in order to improve the security of the
> Hadoop cluster running on the cloud of my uni. I have started by checking
> the "Hadoop research projects" proposed  on Hadoop Wiki and the following
> subject fits with mine:
>
> "Hadoop Security Design:
> An end-to-end proposal for how to support authentication and client side
> data encryption/decryption, so that large data sets can be stored in a
> public HDFS and only jobs launched by authenticated users can map-reduce or
> browse the data"
>
> I would like to know if there are already some developers on it so we can
> discuss... To be honest, I'm kinda a "beginner" regarding Hadoop and
> cloud cumputing so if would be really great if you had some advices or
> hints for my research.
>
> Best regards.
> Thomas

Ouch Whisper
010101010101

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>.
Hello Thomas,

you can look into this project. This is exactly what you are doing, but at
a larger scale.
https://github.com/intel-hadoop/project-rhino/

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Panshul

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello developers !
>
> I'm a student at the french university "Ensimag" and currently doing my
> master research on "Software security". Interested by cloud computing, I
> chose for subject : "Secure hadoop cluster inter-cloud environment".
> My idea is to develop a framework in order to improve the security of the
> Hadoop cluster running on the cloud of my uni. I have started by checking
> the "Hadoop research projects" proposed  on Hadoop Wiki and the following
> subject fits with mine:
>
> "Hadoop Security Design:
> An end-to-end proposal for how to support authentication and client side
> data encryption/decryption, so that large data sets can be stored in a
> public HDFS and only jobs launched by authenticated users can map-reduce or
> browse the data"
>
> I would like to know if there are already some developers on it so we can
> discuss... To be honest, I'm kinda a "beginner" regarding Hadoop and
> cloud cumputing so if would be really great if you had some advices or
> hints for my research.
>
> Best regards.
> Thomas

Ouch Whisper
010101010101

Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Posted by Panshul Whisper <ou...@gmail.com>.
Hello Thomas,

you can look into this project. This is exactly what you are doing, but at
a larger scale.
https://github.com/intel-hadoop/project-rhino/

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Panshul

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Thomas Nguy <th...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello developers !
>
> I'm a student at the french university "Ensimag" and currently doing my
> master research on "Software security". Interested by cloud computing, I
> chose for subject : "Secure hadoop cluster inter-cloud environment".
> My idea is to develop a framework in order to improve the security of the
> Hadoop cluster running on the cloud of my uni. I have started by checking
> the "Hadoop research projects" proposed  on Hadoop Wiki and the following
> subject fits with mine:
>
> "Hadoop Security Design:
> An end-to-end proposal for how to support authentication and client side
> data encryption/decryption, so that large data sets can be stored in a
> public HDFS and only jobs launched by authenticated users can map-reduce or
> browse the data"
>
> I would like to know if there are already some developers on it so we can
> discuss... To be honest, I'm kinda a "beginner" regarding Hadoop and
> cloud cumputing so if would be really great if you had some advices or
> hints for my research.
>
> Best regards.
> Thomas

Ouch Whisper