Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org> on 2017/09/06 19:38:46 UTC

traffic_ops postinstall/rpm update changes

Hi all..

With Traffic Ops 2.2,   we will be adding a couple of keys to the
cdn.conf.   Our initial thought was to add that change to postinstall,
 but that process has become unwieldy and difficult to maintain.

What we propose to do instead is update the cdn.conf in the release
with these changes -- any existing installation will not replace the
existing cdn.conf,  but create a cdn.conf.rpmnew.

It will be up to the administrator of the installation to make the
appropriate changes to the cdn.conf based on the contents of that
rpmnew file.   This will be true for other config file changes in the
future as well.

At most installations,  the handling of those config files is likely
to be handled by a configuration management system like puppet or
ansible.   The recommendation would be to update the file using that
mechanism so it is consistently applied.

With that in mind,  I'm planning on simplifying postinstall by
removing any "update" features.   It would be used only for initial
installs.   If the rpm is an update to an existing install,  the "run
postinstall" message would not be produced.

Does anyone have concerns with this plan?   I should have a PR for
review later this week.

thanks..  Dan Kirkwood

Re: traffic_ops postinstall/rpm update changes

Posted by Dave Neuman <ne...@apache.org>.
+1