Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Behrang Saeedzadeh <be...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/26 09:07:06 UTC

Benefits of running Tomcat as a daemon with JSVC

Hi all

What are the benefits of running an application like Tomcat with as a
daemon (with JSVC) vs. running it like a normal application?

Best regards,
--

Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa

Re: Benefits of running Tomcat as a daemon with JSVC

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
>>In one sentence:
>>Running as non-root on port < 1024
>

> In one sentence: Thanks a lot ;-)
>
> In more than one sentence: Thanks a lot, but what's the benefit of
> daemons (Services) in a Windows environment?

None, even if you manage to run a unix daemon on the windows
at the first place :).

Mladen.

Re: Benefits of running Tomcat as a daemon with JSVC

Posted by Behrang Saeedzadeh <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Behrang Saeedzadeh" <be...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Mladen,
>
> But not everything that runs when the system starts up is a daemon.
> For example, to run Tomcat as a daemon one needs to use JSVC (or
> something like that.) But it's also possible to write an init script
> for Tomcat and store it in /etc/init.d and add it to the list of the
> programs that are executed when the system starts up and in that init
> script only call Tomcat's startup.sh script. This won't run Tomcat as
> a daemon.
>
> In Linux, as you said, one can use daemons to run on ports < 1024 but
> on Windows I doubt if the only benefit would be that to run a certain
> program when the Windows boots.

That's pretty much it.  About the only other benefit is to not tie up a TS
session on your W2K+3 machine just to run Tomcat.  Of course (thanks to
Mladen), using procrun (aka tomcatw.exe) also gives you the nice GUI to do
configuration :).

Posted by Behrang Saeedzadeh <be...@gmail.com>.
Mladen,

Posted by Shankar Unni <sh...@netscape.net>.