Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "McAdams, John" <jo...@marquette.edu> on 2011/06/27 02:49:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache throughput turns glacial on weekends

My Apache/2.2.19 server running on a Windows 7 machine mostly seems to
run fine.

But on weekends, sporatically, throughput turns glacial.  It hasn't
crashed, and after a long wait it will serve up a page, but it's
basically of no use.

When I check my error log, I find multiple (hundreds, at least) errors
saying:

<quote on>

[Sun Jun 26 16:33:11 2011] [warn] (OS 64)The specified network name is
no longer available.  : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

<end quote>

Any ideas or suggestions?

[users@httpd] Re: Apache throughput turns glacial on weekends

Posted by DW <xf...@hotmail.com>.
Better approach is to put after these two:

#EnableMMAP off
#EnableSendfile off

#Enter this just after the above two
Win32DisableAcceptEx

hth

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache throughput turns glacial on weekends

Posted by John McAdams <jo...@marquette.edu>.
As a person who's not a real techie, I just wanted to thank people on
this list for the advice that has solved my problem.

John

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 6/26/2011 9:27 PM, DW wrote:
> Yes.  It implies that those two items are disabled or are not read by
> the apache.  It is by default.  You need to search for this item in your
> file.  they are all together in line: 455 and 456 but it may be
> different in yours because I have done many changes to my file.
>

> McAdams, John wrote:
>> OK, so I need the "#" in front of the first two commands?
>>
>> So it should be:
>>
>> #EnableMMAP off
>> #EnableSendfile off
>> Win32DisableAcceptEx

You may as well go ahead and uncomment EnableSendfile, so it reads

#EnableMMAP off
EnableSendfile off
Win32DisableAcceptEx

if you are running anything other than Windows Server... all of the
home/premium packages now have a corrupted TransmitFile() which will
only deliver two files at once; the rest of the requests may stall.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740565(VS.85).aspx [see Remarks]

[users@httpd] Re: Apache throughput turns glacial on weekends

Posted by DW <xf...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 27 Jun 2011, at 02:58, McAdams, John wrote:

> OK, so I need the "#" in front of the first two commands?

No.  Not without first reading and understanding the docs!

Those are set to off by default because they can sometimes
be associated with other problems.  Especially sendfile
on windows!  Off is the 'safe' setting.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

RE: [users@httpd] Re: Apache throughput turns glacial on weekends

Posted by DW <xf...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "McAdams, John" <jo...@marquette.edu>.