Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com> on 2014/10/12 07:39:16 UTC

[Grouping][testing] Hierarchical Monitors with Composite Application

Hi all,

I have tested the hierarchical monitors with the attached sample
application which has group2 and tomcat cartridge as in top level. group2
further refers to tomcat and group1. group1 further refers to php. Their
startup order has also defined in the definitions as below mentioned:

For Eg:

app (group2, tomcat)  implies that group2 should be started before tomcat.

The application structure is like:
                                 --------------- app (group2,
tomcat)----------------

       --------group2 (group1, tomcat)-------
      tomcat
       |                                                       |
tomcat                                                group1

                                                             php

For the above composite application structure, Application successfully
became active after its children activated according to the start up order
definied.

Please find the samples as attached. If you encounter any issue while
testing, can you update the thread?

Thanks,
Reka

--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,

RE: [Grouping][testing] Hierarchical Monitors with Composite Application

Posted by "Martin Eppel (meppel)" <me...@cisco.com>.
Ok,

So at the application level we flat list all groups being used in the application and add the respective subscription information (group alias). So if I deploy a group which defines  a sub group I have to list it as well as the application level to assign the group alias (as in your example group2), correct ?

Btw, the deployment policy and autoscaling policies for groups are the same (at least to the extent it makes sense) as for cartridges ?

Thanks

Martin

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>.
Hi Martin,

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.
Hi Martin,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Martin Eppel (meppel) <me...@cisco.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Isuru, Reka
>

> I analyzed the application / group definition and this is what I would
> expect for the startup sequence and  status to happen:
>

> + First group.mygroup2 is being started up
>
> + to start up group2 the system will check the group2 dependencies which
> requires to start up first group1
> + to startup group 1 the system has to bring up the php1 cartridge from
> group 1 (which has no further dependencies).
> + Once the php cartridge is active, group1 goes active and subsequently
> the system starts up up the php2 cartridge from group2.
> + When php2 is active, group2 is active and the system will finally bring
> up the tomcat cartridge as define din the application. Once the tomcat
> cartridge goes active the application reaches the active status as well.

Yah..This what exactly happens when you deploy that application.

Thanks,
Reka

Please correct me when I am wrong,

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.
Hi Martin,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 5:07 AM, Martin Eppel (meppel) <me...@cisco.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Reka,
>

> I run a scenario similar to yours (see attached application json
> (application_test_app5a, group5.json, group6.json) :
>

> Deployed groups :
>
> group5: cartridges: [c1, c2], subgroups: [group6]
>
> group6: cartridges: [c2], subgroups: []
>

> Deployed Application :
>
> Dependencies: startupOrders: ["cartridge.c1xxx,group.group6alias"]

I think that the issue here is, startup order didn't get specified properly
for the group. We expected to have the startup order in the group
definition itself for the group as needed. We can define the startuporder
for top level groups or cartridges in the application. Since your
application-a uses group5 and c1 as in top level, you can define the
startup order for those two only in the
application(application_test_app5a.json) as below. Also, we will have to
use alias to define startup order in the application.

 startupOrders: ["cartridge.c1xxx","group. group5alias"]

Then in your group5 (group.json), you can define the startup order as
below. Group will have to use the group name when defining startup order as
the alias is not known when we write the group definition.

startupOrders: ["group.group6, cartridge.c1, cartridge.c2"]

In this case, when stratos chooses group5 to start up, group6 will bring up
first among group5's children. Once group6 becomes active,  C1 will be
brought up according to startup order. Once C1 becomes active, C2 will be
brought up.

Please share your thought on this..

> What I noticed is that all cartridges were started up although  the
> cartridges are not going into active state (which is an issue in my test
> environment).
>

> I tested a similar scenario with only cartridges defined in the
> application:
>

> Deployed Application (see attached json (application_test_app5b.json):
>
> "subscribables": ["c1alias51", "c2alias51", "c1xxx"
>
> "dependencies": {
>
>       "startupOrders": [
>
>           "cartridge.c1alias51,cartridge.c2alias51",
>
>           "cartridge.c2alias51,cartridge.c1xxx"
>
>       ],
>

> and the system correctly brings up c1alias51 and then blocks all other
> cartridges (since they are not going active)

As i explained above, since you have defined the startup order for the top
level cartridges which directly used in application, it is working fine.

Thanks,
Reka

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.
Hi