Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2009/10/19 13:21:41 UTC

Further actions for OSGi'fication

Hi,

I have given much thought of what's necessary to be able to deploy an
ejb to openejb as osgi-based ejb container and access it from another
osgi bundle (a ejb client) and here is what I came up with.

We need a bundle - let's call it openejb-osgi-deployer - that will
listen to starting events so when an ejb (regular ejb jar file with
some manifest changes + META-INF/ejb-jar.xml) is started (aka
deployed) it will get noticed. The o-o-deployer will do what's
necessary from openejb's PoV and register OSGi services for each ejb
bean - both, the remote and local interface. That's the server's part.

>From the client's PoV we'll need another JNDI initial context factory
- possibly in a openejb-osgi-client bundle - so instead of booting up
openejb (local initialcontext) or connecting to a port (remote
initialcontext) it will look up necessary interfaces in OSGi Service
Registry. All beans will get registered in the registry during
deployment via o-o-deployer as described earlier.

I'm doing a first prototype and am wondering where I should place the
interim work. I'm not going to touch any part of the codebase so it
ought to be as little disruptive to what we've got so far as possible
(if at all visible). I've been wondering if I should create a osgi
directory where the bundles will have their maven projects or pick
another directory?

I'm going to create a series of JIRA tasks so we can track the
progress of the openejb osgification.

Comments?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski

Re: Further actions for OSGi'fication

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Jay D. McHugh <ja...@jnwd.net> wrote:

> Is there an up to date 'jumpstart' for getting OpenEJB running in Karaf?

Sorry for a late response.

There's no docs about OpenEJB on Karaf. I've been playing with bare
Felix and have only been pointed into this direction recently. I hope
to have sth in upcoming days. Ping me if it takes longer :)

Jacek

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@jnwd.net>.
Hello all,

I would like to help out with this if I am able.

Is there an up to date 'jumpstart' for getting OpenEJB running in Karaf?

Thanks,

Jay

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:20 AM, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:

> The sandbox code is looking good.  We could probably move it into trunk
> under container/ and next to openejb-spring.
>
> Could just call it 'openejb-osgi'
>
> Thoughts?

Done. Moved to trunk under container/openejb-osgi. Let me know if you
run across any troubles. Now, it's time to create some unit tests,
isn't it? Volunteers?

Jacek

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:20 AM, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:

> The sandbox code is looking good.  We could probably move it into trunk
> under container/ and next to openejb-spring.
>
> Could just call it 'openejb-osgi'

I'm so glad you've proposed it as it exactly correspond to the name I
had prepared for the final commit when all is done :) I'm for it.

+1

Jacek

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Oct 19, 2009, at 4:21 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> I'm doing a first prototype and am wondering where I should place the
> interim work. I'm not going to touch any part of the codebase so it
> ought to be as little disruptive to what we've got so far as possible
> (if at all visible). I've been wondering if I should create a osgi
> directory where the bundles will have their maven projects or pick
> another directory?

The sandbox code is looking good.  We could probably move it into
trunk under container/ and next to openejb-spring.

Could just call it 'openejb-osgi'

Thoughts?

-David