Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul <yd...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/02 20:06:18 UTC

suggestion box?

Hello, all.

First, I have 2 suggestions.

1) put a PayPal "Donate" link on the Apache website.
   I've seen other sites do this, and though I have no idea how much
they actually take in, I thought it wise; it's free money, and even a
drip into the bucket adds up over time.

2) Please set up the Apache Autoresponder to include the original
message when it sends back it's terse if generally reasonable response.
   I know that the development team probably gets a lot of spam, and I
personally want to thank them and say "Bless You!" for all the work
they do, but when I wanted to donate, and then had a suggestion, I
found that not only was my message never read by a human (which I can
understand and accept), but that it was practically discouraged.

I *really* do understand, which is why I've gone to the trouble to
resubscribe to the list just so that I could make what I hope will be
taken as a well-meant suggestion. I don't use the list much lately, and
so had unsubscribed, but wanted to pass this along.

Finally, if anyone thinks it's a horrible idea, or thinks I'm out of
line, I apologize. I just wanted it known, in case it would help the
next guy.

Again, thanks for all the good work.
Paul

Re: suggestion box?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Paul wrote:

> 1) put a PayPal "Donate" link on the Apache website.
>    I've seen other sites do this, and though I have no idea how much
> they actually take in, I thought it wise; it's free money, and even a
> drip into the bucket adds up over time.

I'll forward this suggestion.

> 2) Please set up the Apache Autoresponder to include the original
> message when it sends back it's terse if generally reasonable response.

No.  99% of what goes to that address is spam, and we're not
going to make matters worse by flinging it back onto the net. :-)
If someone doesn't keep a copy of its own message, oh well..

> but when I wanted to donate, and then had a suggestion, I
> found that not only was my message never read by a human (which I can
> understand and accept), but that it was practically discouraged.

If you sent it to the human response address, then it's in my mailbox,
along with several hundred other like messages that I wade partway
through when I have a few cycles.  If you didn't send it to the
human response address, then yes, we don't have it.

> Finally, if anyone thinks it's a horrible idea, or thinks I'm out of
> line, I apologize. I just wanted it known, in case it would help the
> next guy.

Thanks for the feedback!  The donation aspect I'll pass along
to the right people, and it's hardly your fault the other one
is an issue that was battered to death years ago. :-)
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"