Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Eric Pailleau <ep...@numlog.fr> on 2002/12/05 15:15:53 UTC

Compile stylesheet with executable

Hi everybody,

I'm working for a long time now with Xalan executable, XML files and XSL
stylesheet files, but

I was wondering if it is possible to use compiled stylesheet (binary file) with
Xalan executable, in order to earn process time (to skip XSL parsing, witch can
be long for big xsl files or numbering 'include' or 'import'...)

If yes, how can I do it ?

Thanks a lot for help.

Eric.

Re: Compile stylesheet with executable

Posted by Eric Pailleau <ep...@numlog.fr>.
David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> If you're trying to provide high-speed transformations, you need to
> integrate the Xalan APIs into your application.  Spawning a command line
> program to do this is always going to be inefficient.
>
> If you use the Xalan APIs, you can pre-compile a stylesheet and reuse it.
> You can also pre-parse and reuse any source documents.
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

I knew that but in case of internet application (PHP or stuff like that...)
it means I need to create a Linux deamon in order to keep the pre-compiled
stylesheet in memory. I'm right ? Otherwise, the pre-compiled stylesheet is lost
at each PHP call (I even not know if Xalan API is included in PHP)

It could be an idea to have a kind of 'Xaland' !

Re: Compile stylesheet with executable

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Eric,

If you're trying to provide high-speed transformations, you need to
integrate the Xalan APIs into your application.  Spawning a command line
program to do this is always going to be inefficient.

If you use the Xalan APIs, you can pre-compile a stylesheet and reuse it.
You can also pre-parse and reuse any source documents.

Dave

                      Eric Pailleau
                      <ep...@numlog.fr>           To:      xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org
                                               cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                      12/05/2002 09:14         Subject: Re: Compile stylesheet with executable
                      AM

Thanks Dave,

I though about it and have same conclusion than you.
But it would be nice to have something like that !

In fact the problem is  for a XSL DocBook document, for instance,
processes time are very long !

The XML docbook file is parsed very quickly, because of its little size.
( < 1 Sec.)
but the XSL docbook files parsing need about 7 sec. !!!!!!!!!!

So, no way to create dynamic online documentation using wonderful docbook
features as 'profiling' with internet user parameters. :>(

(I don't even think about FOP for PDF documentation !)

In fact, it's a bit boring to parse each time the same correct XSL file to
transform a new XML file...

Nobody have an idea ???

Thanks for your help.

xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org

>                                                cc:      (bcc: David N
Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
>                       12/05/2002 06:15         Subject: Compile
stylesheet with executable
>                       AM

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm working for a long time now with Xalan executable, XML files and XSL
> stylesheet files, but
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to use compiled stylesheet (binary
file)
> with
> Xalan executable, in order to earn process time (to skip XSL parsing,
witch
> can
> be long for big xsl files or numbering 'include' or 'import'...)
>
> If yes, how can I do it ?
>
> Thanks a lot for help.
>
> Eric.

    Eric PAILLEAU |  NUMLOG               |   Tel : +33(0)130791616
    ep@numlog.fr  |  http://www.numlog.fr |   Fax : +33(0)130819286

Re: Compile stylesheet with executable

Posted by Eric Pailleau <ep...@numlog.fr>.
Thanks Dave,