Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@apache.org> on 2020/08/08 14:36:02 UTC

[PROPOSAL] boot from network template on XenServer

Hi guys, it's been a while!

I'd like to know what would be the path to follow within the community to
submit a feature into cloudstack, but also to review our proposal on
offering a template that boots from the network.

Basic idea, is that there is some workload, specially for XenDesktop where
desktop images are hosted on a PVS server, to ease support of that workload
in cloudstack, it kind of make sense that a Instance would boot from the
network and load is root volume image from the PVS server. So what we
recently tried in a VPC model, is to add a configuration at the VPC level
to define the IP address of a TFTP server so the DHCP of the VR push the
next_server ip defined in the VPC config, then we create a template where
the URL is to boot file path on the tftp server that can reside outside of
a vpc. At the VM creation using this template, the boot order of the
instance on XenServer is to boot from the network and the root volume
created is an empty volume that can be used as ephemeral or storage for
caching.

Cheers,

Re: [PROPOSAL] boot from network template on XenServer

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi PL,

Thanks for explaining - you're correct the direct download for templates feature is to bypass secondary storage.

Regards.

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@apache.org>.
Hi Rohit,

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.comĀ