Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> on 2014/10/10 13:44:29 UTC

RE: [mocks] Question on dependency management while adding a test case

>Are the Event tests part of the same module? If they are, you can move
>them to a different module and then test + runtime dependencies are
>separated.
>
>Robert

this would be a workaround, but not a nice one if these mocks are used widely in a lot of projects. this is a general problem for all of those mocks. you cannot just lower the sling API version of the mock, because if the code you want to test depends on the newer version you need a mock of the most recent version of the interfaces.

in the worst case we have to branch these mock projects to support different version of APIs. fortunately the APIs for OSGi and JCR are very stable, but for sling itself this may be relevant. it get's more complicated when multiple APIs of different sling subprojects are mixed.

for wcm.io we have a solution where we will do a "big branch" for each major version of the commercial CMS it's targeted to, and ensure compatibility within the version.

stefan