Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Abhijeet Apsunde <Ab...@persistent.co.in> on 2013/12/25 14:38:19 UTC

Intermittent test errors in Hadoop-hdfs project

Hi all,

I'm running Junit tests suite for Hadoop-hdfs project, however none of 3 run attempts could complete successfully.
There were random test failing due to some error and one consistent failure.

I believe one consistently broken test is due to following change, since corresponding "editsStored" binary file is not checked in with modified "editsStored.xml" file in this particular revision.
###############################
Revision: 1552841
Author: cmccabe
Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013 4:57:20 AM
Message:
HDFS-5636. Enforce a max TTL per cache pool (awang via cmccabe)
----
.
.
Modified : /hadoop/common/trunk/hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/src/test/resources/editsStored.xml
.
###############################

'Tests in error' passed successfully when ran separately. Test results snippet for all 3 runs is attached at the end of this mail.
I would like to know if others also have noted similar observation or there's something wrong with my setup.
If it's a common behaviour how does apache CI handles such scenarios while testing a patch?

Thanks,
Abhijeet.

______________________Test results snippets ________________________

Run1
Failed tests:
  TestOfflineEditsViewer.testStored:193 Reference XML edits and parsed to XML should be same

Tests in error:
  TestHDFSFileSystemContract.setUp:39 » IO Failed to save in any storage directo...
  TestDatanodeReport.testDatanodeReport:48 » InconsistentFSState Directory /home...
#######################
Run2
Failed tests:
  TestOfflineEditsViewer.testStored:193 Reference XML edits and parsed to XML should be same

Tests in error:
  TestLeaseRecovery.testBlockSynchronization:80 » IO NameNode is not formatted.
  TestDataNodeVolumeFailureToleration.setUp:71 » IO Timed out waiting for Mini H...
  TestDataNodeVolumeFailureToleration.tearDown:83 NullPointer
#######################
Run 3
Failed tests:
  TestOfflineEditsViewer.testStored:193 Reference XML edits and parsed to XML should be same

Tests in error:
  TestAppendDifferentChecksum.setupCluster:52 » IO Cannot lock storage /home/abh...
  TestFileAppend3.testTC12 » Remote No lease on /TC12/foo: File is not open for ...
  TestHDFSFileSystemContract.setUp:39 » InconsistentFSState Directory /home/abhi...
######################

DISCLAIMER
==========

RE: Intermittent test errors in Hadoop-hdfs project

Posted by Abhijeet Apsunde <Ab...@persistent.co.in>.
Arpit,
No I haven't made any changes, it's the latest trunk.
In fact I made some changes and ran the suite when I stumbled upon these errors. To make sure that my changes aren't breaking anything I ran the suite on unpatched trunk and observed that those issues exist on trunk also.

But the strange thing is these 'tests in error' are not the same for every run. That's why I felt it could be related to machine. I'm attaching latest run's failed test reports.

In case the attachments don't get through, logs for tests also available at this location
http://abhizit.cloudapp.net/machine1/
http://abhizit.cloudapp.net/machine2/
These logs contains :
1. Console logs of test run : nohup.out.txt
2. Compressed 'target' folder for Hadoop-hdfs subproject. [no included in attachment because of its size] : tgz file
3. Test logs for 'tests in error' .

Thanks !
Abhijeet.

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

RE: Intermittent test errors in Hadoop-hdfs project

Posted by Abhijeet Apsunde <Ab...@persistent.co.in>.
Thanks Arpit,
As Ted also pointed out failed test is related to HDFS-5636, my question was mainly for 'tests in error' which I think is not faced by everyone.

I'm running HDFS test suite and hitting some intermittent test errors. Tests in error vary for each run. And these error test cases execute successfully when ran separately.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

DISCLAIMER

Re: Intermittent test errors in Hadoop-hdfs project

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Intermittent test errors in Hadoop-hdfs project

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.