Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by vineet yadav <vi...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/06 12:01:44 UTC

License for opennlp English POS tagging model

Hi,
what is licence for English POS tagging models used in opennlp? Can it
be used for commercial purpose?
Thanks
Vineet Yadav

Re: License for opennlp English POS tagging model

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 4/7/11 12:53 AM, James Kosin wrote:
> Jorn,  we may even want to add an issue to build a list of models,
> copyright holders for the training set, and terms of use for the
> training set and any terms on the resulting models or outputs from the
> copyright material.
+1, we should create such a list.

In the end I believe its not likely that it will have legal consequences if
you use our models in commercial software. We actually would like to
distribute these under under the AL 2.0, but are not sure if
we are allowed to here at Apache.

The models over at SourceForge do not specify a license and you
could assume that they are distributed under AL 2.0 or LGPL,
which would both allow commercial usage.

Jörn

Re: License for opennlp English POS tagging model

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4/6/2011 6:01 AM, vineet yadav wrote:
> Hi,
> what is licence for English POS tagging models used in opennlp? Can it
> be used for commercial purpose?
> Thanks
> Vineet Yadav
Good question, and it probably depends on the wording in the license for
the training data for the model.

Jorn,  we may even want to add an issue to build a list of models,
copyright holders for the training set, and terms of use for the
training set and any terms on the resulting models or outputs from the
copyright material.

James