Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by erik <Ev...@fugro.be> on 2014/06/10 11:26:29 UTC

monitoring a 'blocked queue'

We have a server application using active mq 5.9.0. When load testing that
application sometimes the client doesn't get a response from the server any
more, while the server claims it has put a response message on that queue. I
installed a jolokia web agent, so I can monitor our embedded mq broker from
hawtio. My question: where should i look in the hawtio interface to find out
what goes wrong with my queue?

Re: monitoring a 'blocked queue'

Posted by erik <Ev...@fugro.be>.
It's getting a bit more complicated then I thought because we are in reality
using temporary queues, as described in
http://www.onjava.com/2007/04/10/designing-messaging-applications-with-temporary-queues.html.
The first 84 response messages for the load tester come in OK, but the next
one is put on the temporary queue by the server, without hitting the
onMessage of the client (= loadtester task). The monitor shows 86
enqueued/86 dequeued around the time when the client is patiently waiting
for its response to request 84. I guess it's impossible to monitor such
temporary queues with JMX? tomorrow i will try to just use the 'statically
defined queues', and see if I can handle 100 messages in a row that way ...

Re: monitoring a 'blocked queue'

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
If the consumer has already ack'd the message, then no, it's not available
anymore.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:21 AM, erik <Ev...@fugro.be> wrote:

> I suppose you can normally browse the messages that have not been
> 'consumed'
> by a client yet. Is it also possible, in jconsole or hawtio, to retrieve
> the
> correlation id/content of the messages that are already consumed by the
> client?

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: monitoring a 'blocked queue'

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
You should check the queue that contains the response (or supposed
response) to see if it has the response. You can "browse" the queue.