Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Neil Miller <ne...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/29 01:18:37 UTC

Proposed improvement to the Ivy Install ant task

Hi all,
  I have a enhancement to the Ivy Install ant task that I'm looking at
working on and would like some feedback before I start. My use case is this:
  I have an existing Ivy repository and I wish to install a new module
and it's dependencies, but I would not like it to overwrite any
dependencies that I already have in my repository. There are several
reasons for this:
- I could have corrections or enhancements in my local repo, that are
not present in the repo I'm installing from
- if something goes wrong during the install process, existing modules
may be left in an unusable state (partially overwritten)
- it takes longer.

Currently, if one installs with transitive="true" it will, if overwrite
is false, fail when encountering a preexisting dependency or, if
overwrite is true, overwrite it.

My proposed solution is to augment the transitive property with an extra
option: "true-skip-existing". When this is option is selected the
install engine would create a chained resolver from the "from" and "to"
resolvers ("to" first), do the resolve and then weed out those modules
that were resolved by the "to" resolver, before downloading and
publishing to the "to" resolver.

Thought, suggestions? Is this something that the Ivy team would be
interesting in including in a future release?

Thanks,
-n