Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gunter D'Hondt <gu...@sofico.be> on 2002/08/19 13:46:22 UTC

java-compiler for Mac?

I know this is a bit of topic here but a friend asks me if there is a
java-compiler (jdk or whatever) that runs on a macintosh?
Anybody knows anything more about java and mac?

Any tip/suggestion/help is welcome!
Greetings,
Gunter.

RE: java-compiler for Mac?

Posted by Ekkehard Gentz <ek...@gentz-software.de>.
if you're using OS9 then its difficult
because only old 1.1.8 will work (bad)

but if you change to macOSX then JDK 1.3.1 is included into the system and
will work well

you'll find more infos on apples webpages

Ekkehard

Re: java-compiler for Mac?

Posted by Ian McFarland <ia...@neo.com>.
Yes, there are a few! What version of the OS are you talking about? OS
X comes with a complete JDK 1.3.1 installed. OS 9 and before had a
downloadable Java runtime, called Mac Runtime for Java, or MRJ, that
could be installed. (The current incarnation is also called MRJ, btw,
but since it's not a separate install, it's transparent to the user.)
The OS 9 JVM is only JDK 1.1.8, though. You can download it here:
http://developer.apple.com/java/download.html. OS X is the way to go if
your friend has any reasonably modern Mac.

You can also run Jikes on OS X, if you don't want to use the Sun+Apple
javac.

Incidentally, Tomcat runs great on OS X. For a howto, please see my
website: www.javaosx.com. For general Java on Mac OS docs, see
developer.apple.com.

-Ian