Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by sharanf <sh...@apache.org> on 2022/02/05 15:37:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] Non Coding Committers

Hi All

I mentioned a while ago that I would start a discussion about having
Committers on the project that can focus on non coding contributions.

Let me start by saying that I wouldn't be doing what I do at the ASF
today if the first project I contributed to (Apache OFBiz) had not
recognised my non coding contributions and made me a committer. My
contributions to the project were mainly testing and documentation. One
year when ApacheCon EU came around I helped organise an ApacheCon track
for the project.

I must admit that I went through quite a few emotions when I received
the committership email.. first surprise, excitement but also a little
apprehension, because being a committer carries some responsibility. I
really didn't want to mess up a project that I cared so much about. What
really made the difference for me was that the email highlighted that
the PMC trusted me. They trusted me with the codebase - or more
importantly they trusted that I would use my judgement about whether or
not to do any code changes. And initially it wasn't an issue - I didnt
need to update the codebase so I even though I was a committer, I didn't
commit anything. Why should I? I continued making sure that the blogs,
documentation and social media promotion all kept happening - which
really helped the project.

A little later on we started incorporating documentation into the
codebase as asciidoc files so that was when being able to commit changes
to the repo became a bit more important. So yes I do commit changes
every now and then - but only in the scope of the work I am doing. I
went on to become their first ever non coding PMC member too :-). And I
can say that being a non coder brings another perspective.

So here in Apache Cassandra I see there is a whole lot of activity
happening around the website, marketing, project promotion, blogs,
social media - these activities are all contributions to the project. If
there are contributions happening in the project that need a committer
to action, then it could make sense to consider having committers that
are focussed around the 'non coding' parts.

I would say that any contribution that helps a project in a positive way
is valid contribution so recognising the people that do that work by
making them Committers helps not only with motivation but also shows
that you value those skills as well as coding.

We want both coding and non coding contributions to earn the same merit
so I see it is more about trusting people to do the right thing for the
project.

This is written from my own experience so I'm happy to get any feedback,
comments and other viewpoints!

Thanks

Sharan

Re: [DISCUSS] Non Coding Committers

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi All

Thanks very much to everyone who took the time to provide feedback and share their views on this topic. It seems to me like there is a general consensus around it and it's great to hear that the PMC is aware and actively working on it.

A community is an evolving thing and so adapting to change is part of the journey. I am really happy to see this open dialogue happening and even though some current problems have been highlighted - the focus is on resolving them!

Happy to be involved and part of this community :-)

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lorina Poland <lo...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.
Hi Sharan,

Thank you for the feedback. Couple points that immediately struck me was the use of the word 'committer'. This term is closely associated with code contributions and therefore causes confusion. I understand that ASF defines it differently but it is unfortunately overloaded. Perhaps the ASF can consider using a different term that is not strongly associated with code contributions?

I am very supportive of recognizing non-code contributions. They are valuable for the community and need to be appropriately recognized by the project.

Over the years, one of the repeated concerns I have heard is that a non-coding committer may make changes to the code causing issues. I find this concern silly. As you described with your experience, people with commit bits are aware of their role and responsibilities. They will rarely commit code in an area that they don't understand. In the worst case we can always revert it ;)

Dinesh