Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/07/24 11:15:24 UTC

Re: [MP2] Placing Apache::RequestRec & Apache::RequestIO & APR::Table use statements in startup.pl

Jamie Krasnoo wrote:
> Will placing Apache::RequestRec & Apache::RequestIO & APR::Table in
> startup.pl to load them up for multiple handlers have any bad side
> effects? I noticed that when I load them via startup.pl the handlers
> that use them don't complain that they don't have the use statements
> within the module code and still work as normal.

While this works for you, it's a bad practice. Why? Because other people using
your code may not have these modules loaded from startup.pl.

Re: [MP2] Placing Apache::RequestRec & Apache::RequestIO & APR::Table use statements in startup.pl

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Jamie Krasnoo wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 02:15, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Jamie Krasnoo wrote:
>>
>>>Will placing Apache::RequestRec & Apache::RequestIO & APR::Table in
>>>startup.pl to load them up for multiple handlers have any bad side
>>>effects? I noticed that when I load them via startup.pl the handlers
>>>that use them don't complain that they don't have the use statements
>>>within the module code and still work as normal.
>>
>>While this works for you, it's a bad practice. Why? Because other people using
>>your code may not have these modules loaded from startup.pl.
>>

> Won't loading them for every handler put an instance of it in
> memory over and over again though? Or will Perl realize that
> its already loaded and not load it again? How would this behave
> in MPM threadpool?

perldoc -f require

It gets loaded only once. Why should be any difference with threadpool.
Application-wise it's all transparent.

Re: [MP2] Placing Apache::RequestRec & Apache::RequestIO & APR::Table use statements in startup.pl

Posted by Jamie Krasnoo <kr...@socal.rr.com>.

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 02:15, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Jamie Krasnoo wrote:
> > Will placing Apache::RequestRec & Apache::RequestIO & APR::Table in
> > startup.pl to load them up for multiple handlers have any bad side
> > effects? I noticed that when I load them via startup.pl the handlers
> > that use them don't complain that they don't have the use statements
> > within the module code and still work as normal.
>
> While this works for you, it's a bad practice. Why? Because other people using
> your code may not have these modules loaded from startup.pl.

Won't loading them for every handler put an instance of it in
memory over and over again though? Or will Perl realize that
its already loaded and not load it again? How would this behave
in MPM threadpool?

Jamie