Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/08/23 19:36:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process

Now that the community graduation ballot has passed, one of our next
tasks is to identify a PMC Chair.

You can read about the duties of a PMC Chair here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

How do we want to do this?

A strawman proposal:

1) Nominations would be open for 72 hours.  Anyone can nominate
someone for the role.  Self-nominations are fine.  And of course
nominations can be declined.

2) If there is only one nomination, then we are done, provided there
are no sustained objections.

3) If there is more than one nomination we discuss on the list for
another 72 hours.  Discussion would primarily be on ooo-dev, but some
subjects might be directed to ooo-private.

4) If after 72-hours discussion there are still two or more nominees
then we vote.  Everyone would be welcome to vote, but binding votes
would be from PPMC members.  If there are more than 2 candidates we
would probably need to use a more complicated voting system, or have a
run-off vote if none of the nominees receive an outright majority.

Any improvements or alternatives to this basic scheme?

Regards,

-Rob

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 23 August 2012 23:55, Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I recollect correctly, Ross volunteered to work the roster issue on
> behalf of the PPMC and as one of more active mentors. He's pretty busy at
> the moment, but I think we can put this taskforward for his attention and
> action.

I did offer and I have done some preliminary work on this. I'm afraid
I am much less advanced on the task than I would like. It is still on
my todo list. I'd hate to think it delays nominations for PMC Chair
(in fact that would be good information for me on cross-checking the
PMC list).

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 24 August 2012 00:13, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I recollect correctly, Ross volunteered to work the roster issue on
>> behalf of the PPMC and as one of more active mentors. He's pretty busy at
>> the moment, but I think we can put this taskforward for his attention and
>> action.
>>

> We're already doing this, on ooo-private.  All PPMC members should be
> monitoring that list or they will risk missing important threads.

Yep. I've been watching that work. Thank you very much for moving it
forwards in absence of my own delivery.

Ross

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>>> I suggest that the initial Project Management Committee (PMC) needs to be identified before the election of a Chair from that body is undertaken.
>>>

>> There is a bootstrapping issue with that suggestion.  The PMC does not
>> exist until the ASF Board creates it.  And the Board has veto power
>> over that list.  So all we have at this time, formally at least, is
>> the PPMC.
>
> No bootstrapping issue at all. The Charter Resolution consists of the PMC and the Chair. It is typically moved forward by the Chair as well.
>
> The Chair is a member of the PMC.

The proposed Chair is a proposed member of the proposed PMC.  See the
difference?  The question is:  who determines what is proposed?  The
proposed PMC?  That there is your bootstrapping issue.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> Funny.
>
> I imagine that if the Board were to take any surprising action, it would be by declining the request for approval of the TLP, along with recommendations for any cure.
>
> In any case, the board can veto anything, whether done in the open or not, whether the list of PMC is agreed or not.  I suggest the idea is always for us to govern ourselves as a community, to respect the ASF policies and principles, and to respond to actions and instructions from the board however they come about.
>
> Having a public understanding of the proposed PMC membership followed then the designation of a Chair seems completely appropriate, despite the possibility of lightning bolts from on high.
>
> If there is to be determination of the recommended Chair by lazy consensus (and voting if necessary), should not the recommendation for the PMC also be brought forward for concurrence on ooo-dev?

It is all one graduation resolution.  The IPMC will review it as such
and approve or disapprove it as a whole.   The ASF  Board will treat
it as such and approve it or disapprove it as a whole.   I suggest we
do the same.  Of course, if we find there is contention on any part of
the resolution then we can discuss that part separately. This is true
for all parts of the resolution, not just the PMC part of it.  But I
would not assume in advance we will need to go through it, clause by
clause, in separate votes.

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:33:13 -0700
> Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm not comfortable having a PMC Chair election and nomination on ooo-dev.
>>
>> I also agree that we should form the PMC membership first.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> On Aug 23, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> > I suggest that the initial Project Management Committee (PMC) needs to be identified before the election of a Chair from that body is undertaken.
>> >
>> > Also, this seems like a very good time to review, for the benefit of all here, what the duties of PMC members are and, with respect to that, what the specific responsibilities of the Chair are and what the special standing of the Chair is so its accountability can be carried out.
>> >
>> > - Dennis

Good observations.  But I think in the end we need to put consensus
over process.  Not that we abuse process, by any means.  But if we
arrive at a result that can only be defended on procedural grounds,
but is not based on the consensus of the community, then our
graduation resolution will receive some strong, well-deserved scrutiny
from the IPMC and the ASF Board.

In other words, if these decisions are adversarial in nature, and
require fine policy arguments to resolve, then that would be a a
warning sign that we may not ready to graduate.  Instead I hope we'll
face difficulties of another kind:  the hard decision to pick from
among several qualified nominees.

-Rob

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 23 August 2012 19:49, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> It appears the IPMC was able to do this for their own Chair.

>>> See  my response to Dennis on  this.  There is no PMC here, only a PPMC.
>>>

>> Or maybe think of it this way;  in the end we're deciding on a
>> graduation resolution that has three main items:  a scope, a PMC and a
>> PMC Chair. This is a single resolution.   Whose votes are binding on
>> whether to send this resolution to the IPMC?   The proposed PMC you
>> think?  That would be circular.  Five of us could then just nominate
>> ourselves as the PMC, vote a Chair and send that along.  IMHO, we
>> should base this in the ASF governance, which is PPMC appointed by
>> IPMC, created by the ASF Board, which are elected by the ASF Members.
>> Creating a new voting body out of nothing does not seem ideal.
>
> Now I understand the confusion. The PPMC is responsible for all three of the main items. Then the IPMC is responsible. Then the Board.
>
> The Chair coming from the PMC is not the same as the PMC electing the Chair.

Exactly. Don't get too caught up in whose votes are binding and whose
are not. Votes are for conflict resolution not decision making. The
PPMC, even though it doesn't formally have binding votes on anything
is still the body that is expected to make the decisions. The
formality (which is a requirement of law) will, almost without
exception, follow the wishes of the PPMC in matters such as this.

Really, the order of creating the PPMC, PMC roster and the resolution
isn't really important. What is important is that the community unites
around the final resolution.

Ross

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I'm going over my daily quota on this thread.  One clarification and then no more for today:

I never suggested that the *proposed* PMC be the body that recommends the chair.  The only body here that deals with personnel matters and other matters requiring binding votes on the project is the PPMC.

There is no PPMC chair.  There is to be a PMC and a PMC Chair as part of creating the TLP.  Those are offered up by recommendation from the PPMC (with the concurrence of the Incubator PMC, one presumes).

I agree that this should be done as transparently as possible, even though ultimately the PPMC is responsible (with regard to the recommendation to the Board).

 - Dennis

On Aug 23, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I'm not comfortable having a PMC Chair election and nomination on ooo-dev.
>>

> It appears the IPMC was able to do this for their own Chair.

Well they were able to reach consensus, but this was after a very, very long set of discussions that backed into selecting a new Chair. The discussion was not initially about the Chair.

>> I also agree that we should form the PMC membership first.
>>

> See  my response to Dennis on  this.  There is no PMC here, only a PPMC.

Certainly and already replied. Maybe we should just call it the once and future PMC and stop having a silly semantic argument.

I've written what I want to say about this today and will now go back to work.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.