Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Svetoslav Neykov <sv...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2015/11/06 17:50:50 UTC

Creating a wrapper application for camp plans

Hi devs,

I propose that we change the rules for creating a wapper application for CAMP plans. There's an unexpected side effect presently where pointing to a catalog item and giving a top-level name to the plan will prevent unwrapping. It's surprising to users and even more so because it wasn't the case a few months ago.

For example the following catalog item:

brooklyn.catalog:
  id: simpleApp
  version: 1.0
  displayName: Simple App
  itemType: template
  item:
    services:
    - type: my-simple-app

when started in the Application Wizard and given a name, equivalent to the following plan:

name: My App
services:
  - type: "simpleApp:1.0"

will result in this hierarchy:

* My App (BasicApplication)
    * Simple App (my-simple-app)

I propose that we change the logic such that the root level name will overwrite the child's name, so the hierarchy becomes:

* My App (my-simple-app)

There's a PR opened for this change at https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/pull/1007.

Svet.

Re: Creating a wrapper application for camp plans

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1

Best
Alex

Posted by Mike Zaccardo <mi...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1 I ran into this when developing BDP and found it odd

Posted by John McCabe <jo...@johnmccabe.net>.
Much more concise, +1

Posted by Mark McKenna <ma...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1