Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Edward R. Foley" <er...@delphi.com> on 2000/02/04 21:47:26 UTC

Problem with Tomcat's build.xml?

Environment:

	NT 4.0 SP 4
        Apache 1.3.9
        Jakarta-tomcat - latest download from CVS (2/4/00 @ 14:30 EST)

Problem:

        I did a build on both Tomcat and Watchdog. They completed
successfully. I ran the Watchdog tests and the servlet tests ran fine
(the same cannot be said for the JSP tests, but that is not the point of
this note). When I went to the BUILD/TOMCAT directory to start Tomcat
the .bat files were not in the directory. They were, instead, in the
BUILD/TOMCAT/BIN directory. I did a CD into the /BIN directory and typed
"TOMCAT START". The TOMCAT.BAT file started, but just as quickly
stopped. However, when I copied the *.bat files from the
BUILD/TOMCAT/BIN directory to the BUILD/TOMCAT directory, changed to the
BUILD/TOMCAT directory and typed "TOMCAT START", Tomcat started nicely
and I could run the examples from my browser.

Possible resolution:

        Upon further examination of the build.xml file in the
JAKARTA-TOMCAT directory I think I found the problem. On line 21 of the
build.xml file is the following command:

         <copydir src="src/shell" dest="${tomcat.build}/bin" />

This causes the *.bat files to be copied to the wrong directory. The
line should read:

        <copydir src="src/shell" dest="${tomcat.build}" />

Ed Foley
Webclaims, LLC

Re: Problem with Tomcat's build.xml?

Posted by Bob Jamison <rj...@lincom-asg.com>.

costin@eng.sun.com wrote:

> Please don't move the scripts back to root, it's better to solve the
> problem and fix the scripts to use tomcat/bin, there are many reasons to
> use this directory.

I agree, it would be best if the scripts worked, and started and stopped
the server, regardless of the current working directory, for system service
purposes.   I like the new Apache-like directories.  Is it an ultimate goal
for
Tomcat to be able to co-reside with Apache?

Bob

Re: Problem with Tomcat's build.xml?

Posted by co...@eng.sun.com.
> BUILD/TOMCAT/BIN directory. I did a CD into the /BIN directory and typed
> "TOMCAT START". The TOMCAT.BAT file started, but just as quickly
> stopped. However, when I copied the *.bat files from the
> BUILD/TOMCAT/BIN directory to the BUILD/TOMCAT directory, changed to the
> BUILD/TOMCAT directory and typed "TOMCAT START", Tomcat started nicely
> and I could run the examples from my browser.

Yes, the scripts are broken right now, tomcat/bin is the right directory.

My personal preference is to set TOMCAT_HOME env. first and change the
scripts to use it, and if not set to "guess" it. In .sh scripts it's
almost done, but I don't know how to do it in bat.

Please don't move the scripts back to root, it's better to solve the
problem and fix the scripts to use tomcat/bin, there are many reasons to
use this directory.

Costin