Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by hateSpam <kh...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2010/04/09 12:43:58 UTC

How to configure spamassassin

Dear All,
I have Spamassassin on my Centos 5.4. For send and receive email I use
postfix and Dovecot and Sendmail version 8.13.8. Since I have installed the
spamassassin I have not configured it. We are getting about 20 spams per
day. I want to configure it and get it working. I did google it there are
some information but all in different server, some I tried did not work.

I will appreciate if anyone know how to configure it from scratch after
installing it.

Thanks in advance
Hatspam

Re: How to configure spamassassin

Posted by hateSpam <kh...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I have both on my server and both are running but I am using postfix MTA.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 09.04.10 08:31, hateSpam wrote:
> Thanks a lot for replies. Do I have to install Amavisd-new and ClamAV to get
> spamassassin working? Is there any other way to configure spamassassin with
> postfix not installing additional software?

clamav and spamassassin are different programs and neither one needs
another one. clamav can be integrated to spamassassin but it's not required.

both support milters. there's sa-milter that connect those MTA's to
spamassassin and clamav-milter that integrates them with clamav.

However, I haven't seen system where both sendmail and postfix would be
running and I can't imagine any benefit of such configuration, but I can
imagine many problems in such cases.

Due to unexpected conditions Windows 2000 will be released
in first quarter of year 1901

Re: How to configure spamassassin

Posted by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch>.
On 2010-04-09 17:31, hateSpam wrote:
> Thanks a lot for replies. Do I have to install Amavisd-new and ClamAV to get
> spamassassin working? Is there any other way to configure spamassassin with
> postfix not installing additional software?

See: http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInMta

also:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/StartUsing

h2

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 10:50 -0500, Daniel McDonald wrote:
> On 4/9/10 10:31 AM, "hateSpam" <kh...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Thanks a lot for replies. Do I have to install Amavisd-new and ClamAV to get
> > spamassassin working? Is there any other way to configure spamassassin with
> > postfix not installing additional software?
>
> Yes, there are hundreds of ways to integrate spamassassin and clamav.
> Amavisd-new is one of the easiest to get right.
>
> * You could run the clamd milter, which requires a fairly recent version of
> postfix to support.
>
> * You could call spamassassin at delivery time from procmail, which requires
> that all of your dovecot users have actual user accounts (they might anyway)
>
> * there are plenty of other integration glue packages, such as mailzu,
> mailscanner, mimedefang

You can also run spamc directly in a Postfix service. Slightly different
approaches are given below:

http://www.ivankristianto.com/os/ubuntu/linux-spam-filter-with-spamasassin/595/

http://www.xnote.com/howto/postfix-spamassassin.html

NOTE: both of these merely run spamc to mark up received mail. You'll
still need to separate spam from ham, either by having your users
configure their MUAs to put spam in a separate mail filter or by using a
procmail recipe to do the same thing - of course you can use a common
recipe that's used by all mail recipients.

Martin

Re: How to configure spamassassin

Posted by Daniel McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.
On 4/9/10 10:31 AM, "hateSpam" <kh...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for replies. Do I have to install Amavisd-new and ClamAV to get
> spamassassin working? Is there any other way to configure spamassassin with
> postfix not installing additional software?

Yes, there are hundreds of ways to integrate spamassassin and clamav.
Amavisd-new is one of the easiest to get right.

* You could run the clamd milter, which requires a fairly recent version of
postfix to support.

* You could call spamassassin at delivery time from procmail, which requires
that all of your dovecot users have actual user accounts (they might anyway)

* there are plenty of other integration glue packages, such as mailzu,
mailscanner, mimedefang

I stumbled upon amavisd-new , and it has always been flexible enough to
handle what I need, so that's what I use, but you need to go look at the
various options and pick for yourself.
--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281

Posted by hateSpam <kh...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Posted by Ned Slider <ne...@unixmail.co.uk>.

Posted by Birta Levente <bl...@gmail.com>.
On 09/04/2010 13:43, hateSpam wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have Spamassassin on my Centos 5.4. For send and receive email I use
> postfix and Dovecot and Sendmail version 8.13.8. Since I have installed the
> spamassassin I have not configured it. We are getting about 20 spams per
> day. I want to configure it and get it working. I did google it there are
> some information but all in different server, some I tried did not work.
>
> I will appreciate if anyone know how to configure it from scratch after
> installing it.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Hatspam

Look at this cool howto:

http://postfixmail.com/blog/index.php/clamav-and-spamassassin-on-centos-5-postfix/

Levi

Re: How to configure spamassassin

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
HateSpam wrote on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:12:36 -0700 (PDT):

> I wanted to ask that forum but there was not any contact or registration
> option, so I wonder if anyone else has done the same configuration.

You should not use it if you don't know how it works and it is not
supported anymore.

Kai

Re: How to configure spamassassin

Posted by hateSpam <kh...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

Posted by hateSpam <kh...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I used instruction for http://onetforum.com/fourm/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34 and
reloaded the postfix now when I receive any email I have [SPAM] added on
subject all emails even it is not a spam.