Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Miguel Hernández Sandoval <ro...@wizeline.com> on 2021/10/13 16:51:53 UTC

[Question] Spanner ServiceCallMetrics on Dataflow runner

Hi team, I've been working on BEAM-11986[1] and opened this PR[2]. In a
nutshell, it counts write/read requests made to the Spanner API from the
WriteToSpanner transform with a ServiceCallMetric[3].
The issue here is that when running the integration tests[4] on
DirectRunner the metrics from MetricsEnvironment seems to have the metrics
and their count as expected, but running them on TestDataflowRunner doesn't
even register the metric, neither in MetricsEnvironment nor the
DataflowMetrics from the pipeline result. I think this is causing a
failure in this github check[5].

Could anybody tell me if I'm missing something? Is this the expected
behavior for metrics counted in runners that are not DirectRunner?

Thanks for your help.

-Mike

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-11986
[3]
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/15294/files#diff-dfda744c176669e742377eac363acc518f9a1e117c1017a0e7a9e9d9ce72763dR1221-R1247
[4]
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/15294/files#diff-4f7009ee0fb4f628bc2aa263cda48c3834eca35601614a6062fba15be345f3aeR193-R263
[5] https://ci-beam.apache.org/job/beam_PostCommit_Python38_PR/338/

--
*This email and its contents (including any attachments) are being sent to
you on the condition of confidentiality and may be protected by legal