Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/16 21:31:38 UTC

[Tomcat6] Eclipse warnings

Eclipse generates many thousands of warnings for the Tomcat6 code.

For example, over 2000 missing @Override markers, over 3000 "raw type" warnings.

Is it the intention to fix these (eventually)?

If so, I can provide some patches to start fixing these.

Re: [Tomcat6] Eclipse warnings

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/12/2009, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 16/12/2009 21:31, sebb wrote:
>  > Eclipse generates many thousands of warnings for the Tomcat6 code.
>  >
>  > For example, over 2000 missing @Override markers, over 3000 "raw type" warnings.
>  >
>  > Is it the intention to fix these (eventually)?
>

> Speaking personally, I have no intention of spending any time on these
>  at all. There are more important things to fix, like actual bugs, than
>  these cosmetic changes.

I'd just point out that these compiler warnings are generated because
they are sometimes indicative of bugs. Admittedly most of the warnings
are harmless, but it's likely that some will reveal code problems.

Posted by "Pejus M. Das" <pe...@gmail.com>.
-1 to fixing cosmetic changes for TC 6 (If I can vote that is. :). Filip has
a good point and I concur.

Thanks,
Pejus

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devlists@hanik.com

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/12/2009, Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/16 sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Eclipse generates many thousands of warnings for the Tomcat6 code.
>  >
>  > For example, over 2000 missing @Override markers, over 3000 "raw type" warnings.
>  >
>  > Is it the intention to fix these (eventually)?
>  >
>  > If so, I can provide some patches to start fixing these.
>

> Mark worked to fix those warnings in Tomcat 7, so if you see
>  anything there, you are welcome.

Thanks, I've already provided quite a few such patches for TC7 ...

>  I am sure that there is no intention to fix those in TC 6.
>
>  I think that adding @Override or generics to the existing API is,
>  at least formally, an API change, and thus TC 7 is the right place to fix it.

@Override has RetentionPolicy.SOURCE so cannot affect the API.

As to applying generics to java/javax classes, I agree that the public
API must have the same signature as the specification, so I was
thinking of using @SuppressWarnings (again, retention source) to
suppress complaints about the raw types. As has been done in TC7.

However the implementation and private fields etc. could use generics
without changing the API.

>  Also, see the votes for the StringBuilder patches in STATUS.

TC7 has yet to be released, and even once it is released, TC6 will be
the dominant version for some while, so IMO considering treating TC6
as being in maintenance mode seems premature.

If my vote counted, I would +1 the StringBuilder patches...

Posted by Ian Darwin <ia...@darwinsys.com>.
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 03:23:14AM +0300, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> I think that adding @Override or generics to the existing API is,
> at least formally, an API change, and thus TC 7 is the right place to fix it.

@Override is just a compile time annotation to check the override
status, so I'm not sure why you think it's an API change.

The generics, I suppose, could be considered so.

Ian

Re: [Tomcat6] Eclipse warnings

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.