Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Yohanes Santoso <ys...@jenny-gnome.dyndns.org> on 2003/05/29 02:57:08 UTC

Pushing Content

Hi,

I am looking for suggestion and tips on how to push content to user.

The content I am pushing is from a real-time (yet another overloaded
buzzword) source. I would like to push the data to user immediately as
soon as it is available.

I am integrating two systems: Jetspeed and a legacy system. At current
iteration, user is expected to interact mostly with the legacy
system. Ideally, performing certain actions on the legacy system
would, within a reasonable amount of time, preferably immediately,
cause Jetspeed to perform some action (e.g. displaying an image). The
keyword is 'immediately' in the context of user interaction.

So far, I have thought of the following:

1. HTML meta refresh tag. Two problems: a. At most, can only be
   refreshed once every second; b. It causes unnecessary network
   traffic and CPU load as the browser keep requesting for new page
   even though there is no new page available.

2. Refresh through Javascript. Same problem as the HTML meta refresh
   tag.

3. Maintain an open connection to the browser, pushing data as it is
   available to the browser. See
   http://www.abiglime.com/webmaster/articles/cgi/032498.htm. This is
   the most ideal solution for my current problem. However, I can't
   see a way to implement this solution within Jetspeed.

Anyone know how to implement #3 within Jetspeed (or Java Servlet in
general)? Is there another solution for my problem?

Thank you,
YS.