Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com> on 2013/01/11 22:54:31 UTC

Anybody running NetBeans on a Mac?

I recently switched to a MacBook and I'm having an odd situation running
NetBeans 7.2.1 under Mac OS X 10.8 (latest) and the Oracle JVM (v 7 I
believe).

I'm not getting any logging out of java.util.Logger.  I looked for the
normal logging.properties file, and that's all good, however when I run
a JUnit test I get no log output at all (not even at WARNING or SEVERE
levels).  It's always worked on Windows.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers,

Greg.

SOLVED - Re: Anybody running NetBeans on a Mac?

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
Thanks for the suggestions, Dan.  When I ran the NetBeans-generated ant
script from the command line (which generally works fine - that's a nice
feature of NetBeans, if you ask me), I got no logging output.  When I
ran a plain "Hello.java" type program from the command line, log output
was fine.  So, obviously something about NetBeans runtime setup.

I'm not sure whether this is a NetBeans bug or a feature.  For
posterity...

- Java VM options are configured in the Project Properties dialog
(right-click on the project, select Properties, go to "Run" panel).
- In that dialog, you can add a VM property like
"-Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties".  The surrogate
container project has just such an entry so as to use a local logging
properties file for debugging purposes.
- The same runtime options appear to be applied to the JUnit test
runner, inside or outside the NetBeans IDE.
- The path to "logging.properties" is interpreted relative to the
"working directory" also set in the "Run" panel of the project
properties.
- In the original project on a Win7 machine, I had set the working
directory to "build/testroot", which is a directory relative to the
Netbeans project directory.
- Project was transferred not by copying to the Mac, but by checking out
the project from the asf
- The "working directory" setting appears to be in some file that isn't
checked in to version control, because when I checked out the project,
it appears to _not_ have the "working directory" set.
- Setting the working directory clears the problem and returns normal
logging output.
- I surmise that if the file called out by
"-Djava.util.logging.config.file=..." can't be found, the logging system
defaults to silence, since there are no output handlers setup.

Should the working directory setting be part of a version-controlled
file?  I would have said yes, since it can be set relative to the
project directory.  But I could see the argument that it's a runtime
thing that might not be portable across OS's.  I don't know whether it's
left out intentionally or it's just an oversight.

In any case, problem solved.

Thanks, all!

Greg

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.