Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com> on 2004/08/18 18:13:47 UTC

Re: sa-learn working

At 11:18 AM 8/18/2004, Jim Coulter wrote:
>If I run a message through sa-learn and then run spamassassin -t on the same
>message, shouldn't it be recognized as SPAM ?

If I add a teaspoon of red wine to a 50 gallon barrel of clear water,
should the resulting liquid be red?

Depends on the contents of your bayes DB.. if that particular spam mail had
mostly well-recognized HAM tokens with very strong ham scores, a single
message isn't going to change much.

However, if the spam has mostly unrecognized tokens that didn't exist
before, a single message training is going to make a dramatic difference.

Remember, bayes is all about statistics and spam probabilities of the words
and headers that make up a message, it's not about message itself.

You can run the message through spamassassin -tD and see what the bayes
tokens in it are, and what their probabilities are.