Posted to users@jena.apache.org by "Gene B. Gragg" <gb...@uchicago.edu> on 2020/08/05 20:26:15 UTC

Re: difficulties with apache-jena-3.16/log4j2.properties

On 2020/07/30 23:25:14, "Gene B. Gragg" <g....@uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Any attempt to invoke ANY of the shell scripts in  apache-jena-3.16.0/bin, for example, 'bin/sparql --version', yields:>
> Error: Could not find or load main class 1.jena.apache-jena-3.16.0.log4j2.properties>
> But if in the scripts I comment out the line:>
> LOGGING="${LOGGING:--Dlog4j.configurationFile=file:$JENA_HOME/log4j2.properties}">
> there is no problem, and 'bin/sparql --version' correctly yields:>
> Jena:       VERSION: 3.16.0>
> Jena:       BUILD_DATE: 2020-07-09T16:13:45+0000>
>
> Note that the environment variable $JENA_HOME has been correctly set:>
> 'echo $JENA_HOME' correctly yields '/Users/GeneGragg 1/jena/apache-jena-3.16.0',>
> and 'cd $JENA_HOME' correctly puts me in 'apache-jena-3.16.0 %'>
>
> Is it a problem that my home directory, /Users/GeneGragg 1/, contains a space?>
>
> (I am using macOS Catalina, and the zsh shell [but the same things happens if I use bsh])>
>

> Gene Gragg>
> University of Chicago>
> Professor (Oriental Institute, Linguistics, NELC)>
> Oriental Institute>
> 1155 E. 58th St.>
> Chicago IL 60637>
> Tel: (773) 307-7486>
> Fax: (773) 702-9853>

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for your response. Here are my answers to your questions. Hope they throw some light on the situation. I am still wondering whether changing 'admin' from 'GeneGragg 1' to 'GeneGragg1', so that home would be '/Users/GeneGragg1/' wouldn't solve things (haven't yet found out how to change admin name on mac).

The scripts start : #!/bin/sh
What is /bin/sh linked to on a mac?

It links to a binary file /bin/sh which seems to reference /bin/zsh (as well as /bin/bash and /bin/dash)

JENA_HOME does not need to be set. The scripts should work it out
themselves. Does this way work?

I took 'export JENA_HOME=~/jena/apache-jena-3.16.0' out of .zshenv. And in a new iTerm window, without this, 'bin/sparql --version' yields the error statement:
'Error: Could not find or load main class 1.jena.apache-jena-3.16.0.log4j2.properties'

On a Mac, the script have to their own resolveLink for potential
symbolic links - having to do it in script risk space problems.
The scripts are all the same, generated from a single template. The only
difference is the executable "main" at the end of the script.
Could you please put that back and add just after the script has
potentially manipulated it.:
# After "---- Setup"
echo "JENA_HOME='$JENA_HOME'"
echo "LOGGING='$LOGGING'"
exit
so we can see what JENA_HOME is set to.

I did this, and on running 'sparql' I get:
JENA_HOME='/Users/GeneGragg 1/jena/apache-jena-3.16.0'
LOGGING=''

What's the "%"?

This is part of the out-of-the-box zsh prompt (haven't yet changed it).

cd $JENA_HOME
should not work (not that I use zsh or bsh)
because it's
cd /Users/GeneGragg 1/jena/apache-jena-3.16.0
i.e.
cd /Users/GeneGragg
and extra an arg to cd.

With the above 'echo' statements, but without the .zshenv 'export' statement,
'cd $JENA_HOME' has no effect (but doesn't complain 'no such file or directory').

Again, thanks.

Gene

Gene Gragg
University of Chicago
Professor Emeritus (Oriental Institute, Linguistics, NELC)
Oriental Institute
1155 E. 58th St.
Chicago IL 60637
Tel: (773) 307-7486
Fax: (773) 702-9853

Re: difficulties with apache-jena-3.16/log4j2.properties

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Gene,

It's difficult see what's your reply what went before. Soemthign went
wonky in the email. Was it HTML then converted to quote-printable/plain
text?

 > I did this, and on running 'sparql' I get:
 > JENA_HOME='/Users/GeneGragg 1/jena/apache-jena-3.16.0'
 > LOGGING=''

OK - that's weird.

The result of

${LOGGING:--Dlog4j.configurationFile=file:$JENA_HOME/log4j2.properties}

can't be the empty string.

If LOGGING is not already set or is set and empty, then the result is
the part after :- and that has at least "-Dlog4j.configurationFile="

     Andy

Are there any Mac users out there who can confirm this?