Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org> on 2017/06/01 10:22:48 UTC

Is the Maven 3 lifecycle extensions documentation page up to date?

This page:
https://maven.apache.org/examples/maven-3-lifecycle-extensions.html

My problem: I have an extension that works just fine
in ${maven.home}/lib/ext/ isn't activated when I do the all the things
mentioned in the page.

So my extension was copied from one the Takari EventSpy plugins (trimmed
down and started over). It all worked just fine, as I say, for the ext/
folder.  The I decided to investigate the <extensions> element per the page
above, and now my extension isn't activated.

Here's the diff between what worked befoe, and what doesn't work now but
dhered to the dvice of the page:
https://github.com/BuildRadiator/BuildRadiatorMavenExtension/commit/8b75fed6aff40907a482d9037794469eb663c6b3

The advice I'd like to leave my users would be to add the following to
their build (and set some env props - one of which I admit changed in that
diff, but that's not the problem).

<build>  ...
  <extensions>
    <extension>
      <groupId>com.paulhammant</groupId>
      <artifactId>buildradiatorextension</artifactId>
      <version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </extension>
  </extensions>
  ...</build>

^ exception that doesn't do anything.

Worse, if I go back to the old way with the post-diff version (dropping the
jar into ext/) if doesn't work either.

TL;DR - EventSpy I made won't work with /build/extensions element.  Am
questioning the documentation.

Oh, I'm standing up https://buildradiator.org/ for the benefit of all.
Jooby/Java8/Vue.js and a 35 second Maven build including WebDriver tests
(tests in three executions from one compilation).

- Paul

Re: Is the Maven 3 lifecycle extensions documentation page up to date?

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org>.
Back to BuildRadator.org - last nights commit made the average time
proportional for each build -
https://buildradiator.org/r#b7n63m6hcb9sm2ttdn/Build_Radiator_DotOrg_Master

Circle CI has a whole bunch of docker setup, and runs " mvn
dependency:go-offline" before it runs the 'mvn package' build. All that
takes a minute and I can't represent that in the in the timeline just yet.
I can't at all with my Maven extension, but do have alternate curl commands
for all build step updates.

Anyway, I don't need to keep this list informed on progress, so maybe this
is the last time I mention it :)

- Paul

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thu 1 Jun 2017 at 18:21, Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org> wrote:

> So the only one that worked as the -D arg to the maven invocation. I
> checked the 10K jar into source control to avoid the bootstrap problem, and
> Circle CI does exactly what I'd hope for. Proof being the intended result -
> https://buildradiator.org/r#b7n63m6hcb9sm2ttdn/Build_Radiator_DotOrg_Master
>
> https://maven.apache.org/examples/maven-3-lifecycle-extensions.html needs
> an update methinks. If only Apache had a wiki :-P

cwiki.apache.org has a Maven space

> - Paul
>
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org> wrote:
>
> > OK, thanks.
> >
> > I'll kill the /build/extensions element of the pom, and try
> > .mvn/extensions.xml
> >
> > - Paul
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 7:26 AM, Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Build extensions are loaded too late to contribute event spies, see how
> >> EventSpyDispatcher makes a copy of spies when it's created. And even if
> >> EventSpyDispatcher didn't make the copy, I think build extensions are
> >> not in scope to capture all events, i.e. things that happen before/after
> >> individual project builds will not be captures.
> >>
> >> What should work is what I call "core extension" [1], which can be
> >> configured in .mvn/extensions.xml in your project source tree and are
> >> loaded very early during the build, before Maven core plexus container
> >> is created.
> >>
> >> [1] http://takari.io/book/91-maven-classloading.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Igor

> (trimmed
> ext/

> but
> >> /commit/8b75fed6aff40907a482d9037794469eb663c6b3

> (dropping

> all.
> tests

Sent from my phone

Re: Is the Maven 3 lifecycle extensions documentation page up to date?

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org>.
OK, thanks.

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.