Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Nascent <om...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/10 03:39:34 UTC

Service Mix and C++ - best practices

I have been reading up on ServiceMix, trying to find the best way to use C++
to develop consumers or producers. I realize there are quite a few
mechanisms to accomplish this task. So I am wondering if anyone has much
experience with this and can recommend the best approach.

I was also wondering if the ActiveMQ instance that ServiceMix uses for its
backend can be directly accessed via ActiveMQ-CPP and still retain the full
features of the ESB. This seems like the most direct/efficient approach if
it works this way. Otherwise, I was thinking about using a separate instance
of ActiveMQ and plugging it into ServiceMix via servicemix-jms.

Thanks!
Jacob

Re: Service Mix and C++ - best practices

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
If you use the jms or jca flow, ServiceMix will use ActiveMQ.  The other default
use is when using servicemix-wsn2005 component.  Else, ActiveMQ is usually
used by the JMS component, but using an explicit configuration in your SU.
In any case, you can freely use ActiveMQ directly without any problems, unless
you try to send JMS messages on queue used by the jms/jca flows, but the name
are prefixed by org.apache.servicemix, so it should be quite safe.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Nascent <om...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  My only concern with using ServiceMix's ActiveMQ backend directly is that I
>  would be bypassing functionality that the binding components provide. From
>  your response though, it seems that this is not the case. Perhaps this
>  concern is due to my ignorance of how ServiceMix runs on top of ActiveMQ.
>
>  Could someone please provide more information on this or direct me to the
>  appropriate documentation?
>
>  Thanks!
>  Jacob
>

>  gnodet wrote:
>  >
>  > You're right. The best way to access ServiceMix from another technology is
>  > to go through ActiveMQ.  As to whether you need a separate ActiveMQ
>  > instance
>  > or not, I don't see the need to do so.  Though you may want to have more
>  > than
>  > one ActiveMQ broker to achieve load balancing and fail over, but this is a
>  > distinct problem.
>  >
>  > On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:39 AM, Nascent <om...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>  I have been reading up on ServiceMix, trying to find the best way to use
>  >> C++
>  >>  to develop consumers or producers. I realize there are quite a few
>  >>  mechanisms to accomplish this task. So I am wondering if anyone has much
>  >>  experience with this and can recommend the best approach.
>  >>
>  >>  I was also wondering if the ActiveMQ instance that ServiceMix uses for
>  >> its
>  >>  backend can be directly accessed via ActiveMQ-CPP and still retain the
>  >> full
>  >>  features of the ESB. This seems like the most direct/efficient approach
>  >> if
>  >>  it works this way. Otherwise, I was thinking about using a separate
>  >> instance
>  >>  of ActiveMQ and plugging it into ServiceMix via servicemix-jms.
>  >>
>  >>  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>  >>
>  >>  Thanks!
>  >>  Jacob
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Service-Mix-and-C%2B%2B---best-practices-tp15949904s12049p15949904.html
>  >>  Sent from the ServiceMix - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > --
>  > Cheers,
>  > Guillaume Nodet
>  > ------------------------
>  > Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>  >
>  >

>  --

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by Nascent <om...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
You're right. The best way to access ServiceMix from another technology is
to go through ActiveMQ.  As to whether you need a separate ActiveMQ instance
or not, I don't see the need to do so.  Though you may want to have more than
one ActiveMQ broker to achieve load balancing and fail over, but this is a
distinct problem.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:39 AM, Nascent <om...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I have been reading up on ServiceMix, trying to find the best way to use C++
>  to develop consumers or producers. I realize there are quite a few
>  mechanisms to accomplish this task. So I am wondering if anyone has much
>  experience with this and can recommend the best approach.
>
>  I was also wondering if the ActiveMQ instance that ServiceMix uses for its
>  backend can be directly accessed via ActiveMQ-CPP and still retain the full
>  features of the ESB. This seems like the most direct/efficient approach if
>  it works this way. Otherwise, I was thinking about using a separate instance
>  of ActiveMQ and plugging it into ServiceMix via servicemix-jms.
>
>  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>  Thanks!
>  Jacob
>
>  --

Cheers,