Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Brian Levine <le...@hotmail.com> on 2009/08/24 17:09:01 UTC

doGet in servlet being invoked

This is going to sound strange,

But I have an operation that takes a while to complete (that's not the strange part).

About a minute after I click on the link that invokes it, the servlet that handles the request gets invoked again and the operation starts over again (while the old one continues to run).

I thought maybe it was the browser getting impatient and resending the request (firefox/ubuntu), so I tried wget and the behavior is identical -- about a minute into it, a new instance starts.

The operation I wrote isn't thread safe (it's only for me and I only run it once a day), so it's not handling it too well.

I have a custom roller setup with a custom RequestMapper and it's handleRequest method gets invoked before the servlet processes the request again, so it seems like the problem is occuring before my code gets involved.

I also threw and caught an error at the start of doGet in my servlet to see if the stack traces would be different (to get some kind of clue as to what's going on), but they are identical.

Any ideas what's going on here?  Or where to look?

Thanks!
/Brian

Re: How does Roller utilize Jazzy

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
I'd just use Firefox or Safari - they have spellchecking built in when
editing textareas. At least on OS X. ;-)

Posted by Dan Grindstaff <Da...@csu.mnscu.edu>.
Thank you!  I apologize for the newbie quoting mistake ;)

Posted by Alex Coles <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Grindstaff <Da...@csu.mnscu.edu>.
Hello all, I need some help in understanding how Roller (if Roller?)
uses Jazzy spellchecker.  Any description of the implementation would be
greatly appreciated.  TIA

>>> Brian Levine <le...@hotmail.com> 8/28/2009 10:33 AM >>>

I finally fixed the problem.  It's a little embarassing, but maybe the
solution will help someone else...

I had been editing files directly in the my webapps/ROOT directory
instead of redploying from the WAR file each time.  I decided I should
update the WAR file so I could deploy from it.  But I was worried the
new app wouldn't work right, so first I renamed webapps/ROOT to
webapps/ROOT.bak2 (so I could go back quickly if it the WAR deployment
didn't work).  It turns out that apps in that directory
(webapps/ROOT.bak2) was still being deployed and still handling requests
that were also being handled by webapps/ROOT.  Oops.

I'm not sure why it was being delayed by a minute, or why it didn't
just blow up entirely.

Sorry for the noise.
/Brian

> From: levine_brian@hotmail.com
> To: dev@roller.apache.org
> Subject: RE: doGet in servlet being invoked
> Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:32:49 -0400
>

> Still trying to get this to work...
>
> I tried the request on WinXP with IE and still saw the problem, so
I'm pretty sure it's not a browser/OS issue.

> I switched the request from a GET to a POST, no luck.
>
> I hooked up the DebugFilter in web.xml, and that's getting hit twice,
too.

> I'm starting to think it's a tomcat/config issue.
>
> Just thought I'd keep the list updated in case anyone else runs into
the same issue and if anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them.
> Thanks!
>
> /Brian
>

> > From: levine_brian@hotmail.com
> > To: dev@roller.apache.org
> > Subject: RE: doGet in servlet being invoked
> > Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:50:38 -0400
> >

> > After some more debugging, it looks like I have two
RequestMappingFilter's being initialized.  It happens about fifteen
seconds apart in the logs.  They get init'd whenever I restart tomcat.
So I'm guessing each instance handles my request, but one minute apart?

> > I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
> >
> > > From: levine_brian@hotmail.com
> > > To: dev@roller.apache.org
> > > Subject: RE: doGet in servlet being invoked
> > > Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:31:06 -0400
> > >

> > > Greg,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, I'm still seeing the
weirdness.

> > > /Brian

contribute to the reduction of CO2 emissions by not printing the email
unless absolutely necessary to do so.

Ltd. This communication does not constitute either offer or acceptance
of any contractually binding agreement. Such offer or acceptance must be
communicated in writing. It is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure this email and attachments are free from computer viruses before
use and the sender accepts no responsibility or liability for any such
computer viruses.

received via its network for the purpose of ensuring compliance with its
policies and procedures. This communication contains information, which
may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the
intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by return email with a copy to  postmaster@ricoh.co.uk .
Please contact us on +44 (0) 208 261 4000 if you need assistance.

> > > Windows Live: Keep your friends up to date with what you do
online.

> > Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you.

> With Windows Live, you can organize, edit, and share your photos.
> http://www.windowslive.com/Desktop/PhotoGallery

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up
to on Facebook.
http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_facebook:082009

RE: doGet in servlet being invoked

Posted by Brian Levine <le...@hotmail.com>.