Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by parki <pa...@avaning.com> on 2007/11/07 21:45:02 UTC

Question about applicability of Mina

Hello!

Hoping someone out there can help me out.

I'm working on a project which entails a hardware device (which we are
building) talking HTTPS to a set of backend servers, and I'm trying to
determine the best choice for the server side - we'd like to run persistent
HTTPS connections and keep them alive, mainly to push data from the server
to the client (and vice versa) - we intend to run asynchronous
communications. We own both sides, and so it's a custom protocol,
keep-alive, and using HTTPS to get through firewall issues.

So, a Servlet container (such as JBoss/Tomcat, which we are also using on
the web service side) is not going to work, as the Servlet container doesn't
allow for long running connections (the container is free to close the
connection on every response, and its not designed to host long running
threads). Therefore, looking around at alternatives.

Mina looks very compelling, as I looks to fit the bill, but I have a couple
questions :

1. Given the description above, is Mina a good choice (loaded question :)

2. Are there clustering issues? We will need to add hardware as needed (but
no need to share data between instances) so I'm assuming this will be a
non-issue, but want to raise it anyways.

3. Any other alternatives I should be looking at?

Any help is appreciated - I have familiarity with Servlets, but unsure about
hosting long running connections over HTTPS.

All advice welcomed. :)

Many thanks.

parki..

Re: Question about applicability of Mina

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 9, 2007 3:08 PM, parki <pa...@avaning.com> wrote:

> Thanks Trustin - I've checked this out in more detail - looks very very nice.
>
> Gonna start with crufting up a server based on the example code, which might
> be all I need - we own both sides of the connection, so it can be a stripped
> down HTTP.
>
> Took a look at the trunk - lotsa goodies coming! Is there a sense of an eta
> on the next release?

the first milestone will be released before this year ends.

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: Question about applicability of Mina

Posted by parki <pa...@avaning.com>.
Thanks Trustin - I've checked this out in more detail - looks very very nice.

Gonna start with crufting up a server based on the example code, which might
be all I need - we own both sides of the connection, so it can be a stripped
down HTTP.

Took a look at the trunk - lotsa goodies coming! Is there a sense of an eta
on the next release?

Appreciated -

parki...

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.