Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Mahmood Naderan <nt...@yahoo.com> on 2014/03/14 10:47:10 UTC

debug mode

Hello,
1- Can we debug Hadoop/Mahout with the available bin files? Or we have to do rebuild them? Probably they are compiled with optimizations
2- I cannot find a procedure on "how to build Hadoop/Mahout in debug mode". If anyone knows, please let me know.

Since I am a gcc/make guy, maybe these are noob questions in Hadoop/Mahout. But I don't know the details! Thanks for any help

Regards,
Mahmood

Re: debug mode

Posted by Mahmood Naderan <nt...@yahoo.com>.
Excuse me, I forgot to say that should I use mvndebug for debugging purpose?

Regards,
Mahmood

On , Mahmood Naderan <nt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Let me state in this way. Using GNU Make, we use "-g -ggdb" to insert debug symbols in the object file. On the other hand, if we use "-O3" it will optimize the code and remove debug symbols. As a result, further debugging is not possible.

Now I want to know, if I run "mvn install" will it optimize the code for performance by removing the debug symbols?

Regards,
Mahmood

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:22 AM, Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com> wrote:

If you are using a debugger like IntelliJ or Eclipse you just create a project that uses Mahout. By default it will run any hadoop on the native local file system with all processes on your debug machine. That is as far as I’ve needed to go.

Andrew is talking about how to debug while running the code on a cluster. This often not needed and certainly not required by Mahout.

On Mar 16, 2014, at 6:48 PM, Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, there are ways to debug.

One is to attach a remote debugger, set breakpoints, etc., like so:
https://www.google.com/search?q=attach+remote+debugger+java+example+eclipse+or+intellij

The other would be to write a log4j.properties file for Mahout and/or
Hadoop and set the logging level to "more wordy", like DEBUG.  I did this
with Hadoop years ago and recently tried with Mahout but didn't get it
working.

The remote debugger would let you step through code while the DEBUG level
would open up some more informative stack traces as I understand.

Re: debug mode

Posted by Mahmood Naderan <nt...@yahoo.com>.

Re: debug mode

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.