Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/04 07:02:13 UTC

[VOTE] release and promote Mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1

I open this vote to release mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1 and promote it out of
sandbox, so that we can start using the transport piece - mercury wagon
- right away.

For the past several months a group of some 5 community members has been
working on Mercury - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury

The transport layer of the project has reached maturity to the extent
that a mercury based wagon passes all the ITs in maven 2.1.x
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-12) and
2.2.x(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-11) branches, except for
one, which did fail with previous wagon implementations.

I also ported un-uber from 3.0 tip into 2.1.x. I have not commited these
changes, but the distributed maven-mercury bundle is built with it.

Issues resolved: 4
Detals: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury+Wagon
Staging Repository: http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging
Maven-mercury bundle 2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT:
http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231722-1-bin.gz
and
http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231800-2-bin.zip

Thanks,
Oleg

RE: [VOTE] release and promote Mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
+1

On 4-Oct-08, at 1:02 AM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> I open this vote to release mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1 and promote it out
> of sandbox, so that we can start using the transport piece - mercury
> wagon - right away.
>
> For the past several months a group of some 5 community members has
> been working on Mercury -
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury

> The transport layer of the project has reached maturity to the
> extent that a mercury based wagon passes all the ITs in maven 2.1.x
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-12
> ) and 2.2.x(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-11) branches,
> except for one, which did fail with previous wagon implementations.
>
> I also ported un-uber from 3.0 tip into 2.1.x. I have not commited
> these changes, but the distributed maven-mercury bundle is built
> with it.
>
> Issues resolved: 4
> Detals: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury+Wagon
> Staging Repository: http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging
> Maven-mercury bundle 2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT:
http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache
-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231722-1-bin.gz
>  and
http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache
-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231800-2-bin.zip

> Thanks,
> Oleg

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

  -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: [VOTE] release and promote Mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Let's discuss this on Thursday. We just need to make sure to write up
summary emails from the day and post them back to the list for further
discussion.

Ralph

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
If the Mercury wagon passes the unit tests I have no problem with
incorporating it.  However, my +1 is only advisory (as is yours) since I
am not a member of the Maven PMC.

Ralph

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
+1
Emmanuel

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

<ol...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Clarification: this vote is for promoting mercury and start using mercury
> wagon.
>
> Ralph - can I count you as +1 on this vote?
>
> All other discussions - like dependency resolution - are outside of that
> scope. Sorry for bringing those up in this thread.
>
> Oleg
>

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> I have no problem with including the wagon. I've read the wiki pages on
>> Mercury and I'm not satisifed with the dependecy resolution improvements. As
>> I've said before, any scheme that relies only on resolving artifact versions
>> isn't going to solve the problem.
>>
>> We can talk more about this on Thursday.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> Oleg Gusakov wrote:
>>
>>> I open this vote to release mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1 and promote it out of
>>> sandbox, so that we can start using the transport piece - mercury wagon -
>>> right away.
>>>
>>> For the past several months a group of some 5 community members has been
>>> working on Mercury - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury
>>>
>>> The transport layer of the project has reached maturity to the extent
>>> that a mercury based wagon passes all the ITs in maven 2.1.x (
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-12) and 2.2.x(
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-11) branches, except for one,
>>> which did fail with previous wagon implementations.
>>>
>>> I also ported un-uber from 3.0 tip into 2.1.x. I have not commited these
>>> changes, but the distributed maven-mercury bundle is built with it.
>>>
>>> Issues resolved: 4
>>> Detals: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury+Wagon
>>> Staging Repository: http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging<http://people.apache.org/%7Eogusakov/repos/staging>
>>> Maven-mercury bundle 2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231722-1-bin.gz<http://people.apache.org/%7Eogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231722-1-bin.gz>and
>>> http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231800-2-bin.zip<http://people.apache.org/%7Eogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231800-2-bin.zip>
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Oleg

jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] release and promote Mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 4-Oct-08, at 3:30 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I have no problem with including the wagon. I've read the wiki pages
> on Mercury and I'm not satisifed with the dependecy resolution
> improvements. As I've said before, any scheme that relies only on
> resolving artifact versions isn't going to solve the problem.

I don't understand what that means. What scheme do we have no that
doesn't rely on resolving artifact versions? Do you instead mean
resolving version ranges?

> We can talk more about this on Thursday.
>
> Ralph
>
> Oleg Gusakov wrote:
>> I open this vote to release mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1 and promote it
>> out of sandbox, so that we can start using the transport piece -
>> mercury wagon - right away.
>>
>> For the past several months a group of some 5 community members has
>> been working on Mercury - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury
>>
>> The transport layer of the project has reached maturity to the
>> extent that a mercury based wagon passes all the ITs in maven 2.1.x
>> (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-12) and 2.2.x(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-11
>> ) branches, except for one, which did fail with previous wagon
>> implementations.
>>
>> I also ported un-uber from 3.0 tip into 2.1.x. I have not commited
>> these changes, but the distributed maven-mercury bundle is built
>> with it.
>>
>> Issues resolved: 4
>> Detals: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury+Wagon
>> Staging Repository: http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging
>> Maven-mercury bundle 2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT: http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231722-1-bin.gz
>>  and http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231800-2-bin.zip
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Oleg

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: [VOTE] release and promote Mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.

Jason Dillon wrote:
> +1
>
> Will this also include the non-transport bits? I'm looking to consume
> those in gshell ASAP to replace maven-artifact.
Not all of them - there is still one piece missing. I will document the
exact status and progress in more detail in a separate jira

Thanks,
Oleg

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Vote results:

+5 binding
+3 advisory

According to recommendations I will:

    * promote the project
    * fix the discrepancies
    * make another release and post it for the vote.

Thanks everyone voted!

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Oleg,

The first step here now I think will be the promotion of Mercury out
of the sandbox. Once the promotion is done we can quickly stage
another release. Let's get past the promotion first.

On 3-Oct-08, at 10:02 PM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> I open this vote to release mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1 and promote it out
> of sandbox, so that we can start using the transport piece - mercury
> wagon - right away.
>
> For the past several months a group of some 5 community members has
> been working on Mercury - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury
>
> The transport layer of the project has reached maturity to the
> extent that a mercury based wagon passes all the ITs in maven 2.1.x (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-12
> ) and 2.2.x(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-11) branches,
> except for one, which did fail with previous wagon implementations.
>
> I also ported un-uber from 3.0 tip into 2.1.x. I have not commited
> these changes, but the distributed maven-mercury bundle is built
> with it.
>
> Issues resolved: 4
> Detals: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Mercury+Wagon
> Staging Repository: http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging
> Maven-mercury bundle 2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT: http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231722-1-bin.gz
>  and http://people.apache.org/~ogusakov/repos/staging/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/2.1.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/apache-maven-2.1.0-M2-20081003.231800-2-bin.zip
>

> Thanks,
> Oleg

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

  -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Re: [VOTE] release and promote Mercury 1.0.0-alpha-1

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On 6-Oct-08, at 9:45 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I mistranslated my notes and missed the most important thing -
>> the POMs still contain references to 1.0.0-alpha-1-SNAPSHOT
>> properties as well.
Those are just property values, left over by the release plugin. Real
dependencies are all 1.0.0-alpha-1. I guess - property values can be
anything, so this should not matter for the release.

>> - Brett
>>
>> On 07/10/2008, at 3:39 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>>
>>> The current release artifacts have a number of problems. At first
>>> glance:
>>> - the SCM will be pinned to the sandbox, one reason we generally
>>> promote first, then release.
>
> I'll ask Oleg to do the promotion first.
Good point, will do.

>>> - the POMs still contain references to sonatype repositories
>
> Easy to fix.
>

>>> - I don't think mercury-it can be released due to GPL dependencies
>>>

> We don't need to release this, but I don't think anyone knows if this
> is possible if it's a test dependency and not something that would be
> distributed. At any rate for the first release we can not release the
> module.
This is integration tests module, I guess it can always stay snapshot
like maven ITs. Will change project structure to do that.

Thanks everybody,
Oleg

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.