Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org> on 2013/05/26 12:35:29 UTC

[VOTE] Release 0.22 RC6 as 0.22 final

RC6 contains the proposed final bits for Qpid 0.22.

If you favor making the RC6 bits into our official release, vote +1.
If you have reason to believe RC6 is not ready for release, vote -1.

Thanks!
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.22 RC6 as 0.22 final

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 05/30/2013 02:32 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 01:57:48PM +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
>>> Do you mean with using DESTDIR=$somedir ?
>>
>> Using CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.
>>
>>> I'm not seeing any install failures during packaging. The RPM packaging
>>> system uses a non-standard location to install the bits before
>>> generating the RPMs.
>>
>> I see:
>>
>>> Install the project...
>>> -- Install configuration: ""
>>> -- Installing: /home/gordon/qpid-releases/0.22rc6/TEST_INSTALL/share/doc/qpid-cpp-0.22/LICENSE
>>> -- Installing: /home/gordon/qpid-releases/0.22rc6/TEST_INSTALL/share/doc/qpid-cpp-0.22/NOTICE
>>> -- Installing: /home/gordon/qpid-releases/0.22rc6/TEST_INSTALL/share/qpid/qpid/qpid.i
>>> -- Installing: /home/gordon/qpid-releases/0.22rc6/TEST_INSTALL/share/qpid/qpid/swig_perl_typemaps.i
>>> -- Installing: /home/gordon/qpid-releases/0.22rc6/TEST_INSTALL/share/qpid/qpid/swig_python_typemaps.i
>>> -- Installing: /home/gordon/qpid-releases/0.22rc6/TEST_INSTALL/share/qpid/qpid/swig_ruby_typemaps.i
>>> -- Installing: /home/gordon/qpid-releases/0.22rc6/TEST_INSTALL/include/qmf/qmfengine.i
>>> -- Installing: /home/gordon/qpid-releases/0.22rc6/TEST_INSTALL/include/qmf/qmf2.i
>>> -- Installing: /home/gordon/qpid-releases/0.22rc6/TEST_INSTALL/bin/qmf-gen
>>> CMake Error at managementgen/cmake_install.cmake:48 (FILE):
>>>   file cannot create directory: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qmfgen.
>>
>> These seem not to get installed into my required location as are the
>> earlier artefacts above.
>>
>>>   Maybe need administrative privileges.
>>> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>>>   cmake_install.cmake:60 (INCLUDE)
>
> Ah, I see what you mean. This is how it's supposed to work. When
> installing the bindings, those directories are determined by where the
> language's site directories are located and not by the install prefix
> set during the Cmake generation phase. This same case applies to Proton
> as well.
>
> To control where the files are installed, it's not recommended to use
> the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX but instead use DESTDIR=$someplace, which
> installs everything relative to that directory.

Ok, I will do that. Thanks for the clarification!

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.22 RC6 as 0.22 final

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:00:15AM -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 09:32 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> > Ah, I see what you mean. This is how it's supposed to work. When
> > installing the bindings, those directories are determined by where the
> > language's site directories are located and not by the install prefix
> > set during the Cmake generation phase. This same case applies to Proton
> > as well.
>
> What you say is how proton works, and is arguably the "correct" way to
> do it - but unless we've changed something qpid does it (and has done
> it) the way Gordon expects.
>
> If you've changed all the bindings to consistently behave in the proton
> way this needs to be release noted as it will cause confusion, if it's
> not consistent then it's even worse!

The Python bindings are installed based on the ${PYTHON_SITEARCH_PACKAGES}
directory, which is defined by the CMakeLists.txt file in
$repo/qpid/cpp/bindings as:

execute_process(COMMAND ${PYTHON_EXECUTABLE}
                -c "from distutils.sysconfig import g
                OUTPUT_VARIABLE PYTHON_SITEARCH_PACKA
                OUTPUT_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE)

This was added in QPID-3633:

QPID-3633: Make cmake the primary build tool for the cpp tree
    Get Swigged bindings to install in the correct place

In the managementgen/CMakeLists.txt file it previously had its Python files
installing to /usr/local/managementgen, added by Stephen Huston on 23
April 2009 (merged from a different source). I changed those in April to
be the same as the Qpid Python bindings in April this year.

> DESTDIR does not perform the same function as CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. The
> point of setting a local install directory for qpid and having the build
> not fail is so that you can build all the modules you need in the
> correct place for the server and client without having to mess around.
> If the install fails due to bindings not being installed this really
> messes this up, and The qpid build currently has no way of turning the
> bindings builds off.

Sorry, but I'm not suggesting that the two are the same. I was only
pointing out that, to install everything under one location, DESTDIR
can do that for a person.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.22 RC6 as 0.22 final

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 09:32 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> Ah, I see what you mean. This is how it's supposed to work. When
> installing the bindings, those directories are determined by where the
> language's site directories are located and not by the install prefix
> set during the Cmake generation phase. This same case applies to Proton
> as well.

What you say is how proton works, and is arguably the "correct" way to
do it - but unless we've changed something qpid does it (and has done
it) the way Gordon expects.

If you've changed all the bindings to consistently behave in the proton
way this needs to be release noted as it will cause confusion, if it's
not consistent then it's even worse!

DESTDIR does not perform the same function as CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. The
point of setting a local install directory for qpid and having the build
not fail is so that you can build all the modules you need in the
correct place for the server and client without having to mess around.
If the install fails due to bindings not being installed this really
messes this up, and The qpid build currently has no way of turning the
bindings builds off.

Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.22 RC6 as 0.22 final

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 05/30/2013 01:42 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 01:35:52PM +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
>> On 05/26/2013 11:35 AM, Justin Ross wrote:
>>> RC6 contains the proposed final bits for Qpid 0.22.
>>>
>>> If you favor making the RC6 bits into our official release, vote +1.
>>> If you have reason to believe RC6 is not ready for release, vote -1.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> However using the cmake build, I hit an install failure when using a
>> non-standard install location because the qmfgen libraries do not
>> seem to honour the specified prefix. Is this a known issue?
>
> Do you mean with using DESTDIR=$somedir ?

Using CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.

> I'm not seeing any install failures during packaging. The RPM packaging
> system uses a non-standard location to install the bits before
> generating the RPMs.

I see:

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.
On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 06:35:29AM -0400, Justin Ross wrote:
> RC6 contains the proposed final bits for Qpid 0.22.
>
> If you favor making the RC6 bits into our official release, vote +1.
> If you have reason to believe RC6 is not ready for release, vote -1.

+1

Tested all packages (qpid-cpp, python-qpid, perl-qpid,
rubygem-qpid_messaging), made sure all languages can exchange messages.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.22 RC6 as 0.22 final

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com>.
+1   ship it !

100 consecutive runs of autotools 'make check' returned ZERO reported failures !

( after applying the kernel change that Ken Giusti found -- this was on a Xeon system )

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 following the rebuild of RC6

Robbie

Posted by Cliff Jansen <cl...@gmail.com>.