Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/10/03 18:04:19 UTC

Re: DomainKeys - Tom Brown's Mailet

Tom Brown ha scritto:
> A few years ago I contributed mailets that would cause email to be
> signed with a Yahoo! Domain Keys signature (or verify the signature).
> Due to legal questions regarding patents, the code was not added to
> the main James repository, but made available to all as a separate
> download. The mailets can be found here:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-752
>
> I'm not sure where the best place to put the signer mailet is, but its
> location in the configuration (and its matcher) should be designed so
> that it only signs outgoing messages. The verifier should of course be
> placed in the configuration so as to verify incoming mail. I'm sorry I
> can't be more specific about this.
>
> The DomainKeysVerifier accepts one optional parameter: "dns-server"
> which can be used to explicitly set the DNS server that will be used
> for looking up the DomainKeys DNS entries.
>
> I hope this helps...

I can add that the Legal team at Apache finally reviewed the DomainKey
patent and here is the related issue:

The result is that they added this statement to the resolved legal
issues (http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html):

-----
* Does the Yahoo! DomainKeys Patent License Agreement v1.2 raise any
concerns?

No.
-----

If I understand it correctly this mean we can finally include it in our
repository and release it.

maybe the "mailet-crypto" product is the right place:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/crypto/trunk/

Stefano