Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/08/27 09:23:58 UTC

[SUREFIRE] Surefire provider for JUnit 5?

Hi,

I'm currently at SoCraTes 2016 [1] and I got a chance to talk to Marc
Philipp [2], who is one of the maintainers of the JUnit project. As you
might know, the JUnit team is currently working on the next major release
of JUnit (JUnit 5 a.k.a Jupiter) [3]. Quite a lot will change in JUnit 5
and Marc gave me a kick start about the new architecture. The JUnit team
already implemented a rudimentary surefire provider for JUnit 5 [4] and
they eventually like to donate it to the maven project. This is where I
come into play, since I know Marc know and I'm a member of the ASF and I
though it would be good to help with this.

What I'd like to find out is how we can move this forward. So here are two
questions to get us started:
- is the maven community interested in a donation of a surefire provider
for JUnit 5? (I volunteer to drive that and maintain the code afterwards)
- JUnit 5 is Java 8. Will this be a blocker?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Benedikt

[1] http://socrates-conference.de/
[2] https://twitter.com/marcphilipp
[3] http://junit.org/junit5/
[4]
https://github.com/junit-team/junit5/tree/master/junit-platform-surefire-provider

Re: [SUREFIRE] Surefire provider for JUnit 5?

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
>>When would you be available for a chat on freenode?
I am at IRC now.
https://maven.apache.org/community.html

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Tibor,

good idea! I've talked to Marc Philipp from the JUnit team and he want's to

Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> schrieb am Di., 30. Aug. 2016 um

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Tibor,

Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> schrieb am Mo., 29. Aug. 2016 um
12:56 Uhr:

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Tibor,

Tibor Digana <ti...@googlemail.com> schrieb am Sa., 27. Aug. 2016 um
22:48 Uhr:

> The JUnit5 team create junit5-provider which might be nice to have a
> look inside. I don't know if this provider has all features Surefire
> provided through surefire-junit47-provider, I know for certain that
> junit5-provider converts JUnit 5 Executor to JUnit 4 Runners and
> that's the way to support all features again.

Their idea was to contribute the code of the junit5-provider to the maven
project. So there would be a new provider sub module for JUnit 5.
Given the fact that they changed the whole architecture of JUnit in the
Jupiter release, I think it makes sense to have a new provider for this.
Who do you feel about that?

Regards,
Benedikt

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@googlemail.com>.

--
Cheers
Tibor

Re: [SUREFIRE] Surefire provider for JUnit 5?

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@googlemail.com>.

--
Cheers
Tibor

Re: [SUREFIRE] Surefire provider for JUnit 5?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Benedikt :)