Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by John Marshall <Jo...@accurate.co.uk> on 2003/05/07 11:21:48 UTC

1 - break-before; 2 - retrieve-marker

I am using FOP-0.20.5rc. I have two small but annoying problems and I would be grateful for hints on where to look. I have read the FAQ and tried to search the Recommendation, as well as Dave Pawson's book.

When I encounter a title in my XML, I want to (1) begin a new page and to (2) use the title as the page header.

(1) If the title is the first block in my <fo:flow> then <fo:block break-before="page"> leaves my first page blank. I can obviously calculate the value of the break-before attribute, or inherit it, if I can find out if my flow is empty. Is there any indicator that the flow has no content yet?

(2) Having found a title I then insert its value in an <fo:marker> element. Here is the snippet that sets this as my page header:

    <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
      <fo:block>
        <fo:retrieve-marker
          retrieve-class-name="sect-head"
          retrieve-position="last-ending-within-page"
          retrieve-boundary="document"/>
      </fo:block>
    </fo:static-content>

I want that content to appear on all pages until it is superseded, but it appears only on the page where it is defined. I have used all available values of the retrieve-position attribute with no pereceptible difference.

Thank you for your consideration.

John Marshall
Accurate Software

The Courtyard, Denmark Street, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40 2AZ, UK.
Tel: +44 (0)118 977 3889
Fax: +44 (0)118 977 1260
 <http://www.accuratesoftware.com/> http://www.accuratesoftware.com

The UK office of Accurate Software will be moving offices from May 19th to the following new location:
80 Peach Street, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40 1XH.
The existing telephone and fax numbers will remain unchanged.

Accurate Software

info@accuratesoftware.com
www.accuratesoftware.com

Europe . North America . Australasia . Africa

The information in this email is confidential and privileged and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity listed above.  If you are neither the intended individual, or entity listed above, nor the person responsible for the delivery of this email to the intended recipients, you are hereby notified that any unauthorised distribution, copying or use of this email is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the Accurate system manager at postmaster@accuratesoftware.com or on +44 (0)118 977 3889.  The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily be the views held by the Accurate Group.

Re: 1 - break-before; 2 - retrieve-marker

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
John Marshall wrote:
> (1) If the title is the first block in my <fo:flow> then <fo:block
> break-before="page"> leaves my first page blank.

This is a know defect, the code checking for the page break
condition is broken. No workaround.

 > (2) Having found a title I then insert its value in an <fo:marker>
 > element. Here is the snippet that sets this as my page header:
 >         <fo:retrieve-marker
 >           retrieve-class-name="sect-head"
 >           retrieve-position="last-ending-within-page"
 >           retrieve-boundary="document"/>

Retrieve-boundary="document" has problems in 0.20.5rc, you'll need
a more recent release (but beware 0.20.5rc2 because of bug #17472).

 > The Courtyard, Denmark Street, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40 2AZ, UK.
[snip]
Sig/disclaimers seems to get more and more out of hand these times...

J.Pietschmann