Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hendrik Fuß <fu...@molecular-machines.com> on 2008/10/17 06:19:53 UTC

Slow commit when repository on network drive

Hi folks,

I've recently installed svnserve (CollabNet Server 1.5.2) on a Windows
2000 server. The server is attached to a NAS system, which I want to use
for repository storage. After mounting the NAS directory as a network
drive and starting svnserve from the command line the server works fine
except commits are increadibly slow (checkouts too). One of my folders
takes several hours to import. If I change the repository location over
to the local hard disk the same folder is imported within less than 5
minutes.

Copying files between the server hard disk and the NAS is very fast when
using the normal windows file copying operations.

Any ideas or suggestions?

cheers
Hendrik

P.S. Apologies if you have received this post twice. Apparently my first
post was lost.

Re: Slow commit when repository on network drive

Posted by Hendrik Fuß <fu...@molecular-machines.com>.
Hi again,

I'd like to ask you a simple question instead: is anybody successfully
using svnserve with the repository on a network volume (such as a
dedicated NAS)? Has anybody encountered similar performance problems?

many thanks
Hendrik