Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Galbreath, Mark A" <Ga...@state.gov> on 2004/05/14 14:17:20 UTC

RE: Project from hell?

Ok, here's the deal.  I have a legacy Web app that uses applets in the
presentation layer for the client/server communication.  The applets capture
input from the user (userid, password, etc.), sends it to the server for
validation, and the server returns another applet with application options
permitted by the user's security level, and so on and so on.  The rub is
that this app is installed in every single US consular post and embassy in
the world (around 550 posts).  At predetermined times the post databases
synch to the main database in Washington,
DC....hopefully...telecommunications in some places are not very reliable.

What I have been tasked to investigate is the possibility of wrapping this
app in a Web service so that all the post installations could be
consolidated into one place in Washington and the posts could then use the
app with only a browser (light client), and have the advantages of message
queuing.

Does this sound doable to you guys?

Mark

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
Mark,

It's touch to get a SOAP runtime to run in an applet. If that's what you
really want to do, I suggest that you use the Wingfoot SOAP 1.06 client
package (see http://www.wingfoot.com/index.jsp). It's free for commercial
use. (at least it used to be -- but I haven't verified)

I don't know its status in terms of interop or WS-I BP compliance, but it's
a small, lightweight Java SOAP client.

Your other option is to have the returned applet call a Web service through
its server. The applet would still have all the appropriate security
limitations, and the server could verify the security levels on every call.

Anne

I truely wish to access a Web service from a browser.  However I can make
that happen.

Mark

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to
create a web app that uses a web service backend, or do you truely wish to
access a web service from a browser?

I've been trying that route but have had no success yet.  I'll try it again
without using Struts.

Mark

Next question: Are u willing to help? As u know all committers have day jobs

:)

RE: Project from hell?

Posted by TMT_Sato <sa...@tmtec.biz>.
Hi,

I use web service,
if that applet talks to the server with RMI.

We can think of a web service as
another serialization better than RMI.
Besides, we can use http or https with axis.
That leads to an easy integration with
other J2EE applications.
In the end, better availability ,security and cost.

But the problem is to serialize or download apps.
The proxy seems to be very simple
to handle diverse app's request.
Maybe client jar contains only bootstrap classes.
And other selected app classes are
serialized and passed to the user dynamically
or simply downloaded using ftp.
These are done automatically by RMI.
But any system to handle these feature, of course,
is not anywhere around WebService, so you create on your own.
But serialization cost of byte[] or object may be high.

If not, need to distribute jar file contains all the app classses to all
tha users
in a timely manner.
In this case, web start is far better solution than applet.

Thanks,

Takenori

RE: Project from hell?

Posted by Blake Dournaee <bl...@sarvega.com>.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the description of this use-case. I still, however, have some
questions - probably from my misunderstanding of the description.

Let me re-state what you are trying to accomplish first:

1. You've got a large number of installations of a legacy Web app (LWA),
distributed across different geographical locations.

2. You want to "slap" an XML Web Services interface on the entire
collection, so a client only needs to interact with a single endpoint.

Does this sound right?

If so, I think this is an interesting use-case. You are in effect using the
XML web service as a consistent interface to hide the complexity on the back
end.

My next question would be about browser support - unless you implement the
SOAP handling in applets, it seems like this project may be hard to get off
the ground given the state of SOAP support in browsers.

Blake Dournaee
Sarvega, Inc.
http://www.sarvega.com