Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com> on 2002/08/21 20:07:21 UTC

Apache 1.3.26 DOS'ing itself still

Apache ran away again, happily bringing down the webserver.  This time,
however, it didn't reach the MaxClients setting before it started grinding
on the disks.

Between the last instance and this one, I raised maxclients to 125 (from
100) and set MaxRequestsPerChild to 100000 (from 100).

After this latest panic, I've set MaxRequestPerChild to 0.

What can I do to diagnose this problem?  Will disabling KeepAlive help?
What will it do to performance?

I almost wonder if i'm exhausting the physical memory, and its causing
excessive swapping.  This server only has 256mb of ram.  With 35 instances
of httpd running, I have 40mb free.  I'm guessing that an additonal 50 may
take up more than that 40mb?

Thanks,
-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com

Re: Apache 1.3.26 DOS'ing itself still

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> That's possible.  You should NEVER make your web server use swap space.
>   MaxClients should be set low enough such that all serving happens from
> main memory.
>
> It sounds like your httpd processes are using quite a bit of memory.
> You might want to cut down on unnecessary modules.

The more I think about it, the more plausable this situation is.  I forgot
to mention that our website is written in PHP, and it has a mem limit of
24mb.  I'm pretty sure that its a problem of physically running out of
memory.  All it takes is two people running a large query, and suddenly that
40mb free is gone.  And then some.

Looks like another 256mb is going to need to be ordered.

> Also see:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html
> for a few important tips.

Thanks for the info, I'm reading that now.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Jacob Coby wrote:

> I almost wonder if i'm exhausting the physical memory, and its causing
> excessive swapping.  This server only has 256mb of ram.  With 35 instances
> of httpd running, I have 40mb free.  I'm guessing that an additonal 50 may
> take up more than that 40mb?

That's possible.  You should NEVER make your web server use swap space.
  MaxClients should be set low enough such that all serving happens from
main memory.

It sounds like your httpd processes are using quite a bit of memory.
You might want to cut down on unnecessary modules.

Also see:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html
for a few important tips.

Turning down KeepAliveTimeOut may help a little, but it is best not to
turn it off if you can avoid it.

Joshua.