Posted to dev@seatunnel.apache.org by leo65535 <le...@163.com> on 2021/12/22 10:14:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] Upgrade flink version

Hi, everyone

Description
SeaTunnel project use flink1.9 which is too old version for production, it's the time to upgrade the flink version.
But we need to consider, flink1.13 and flink1.9 are not compatible, so if we upgrade flink version directly,
we will maybe lost flink engine support for a long time, and we will rewrite all flink plugins one by one.

In addition, it will be very hard to upgrade flink version later, and the Flink API has good compatibility from flink.1.12 version.
And, if we want to write to lakehouse project(hudi, iceberg), we must use at least flink.1.12 version.

We need to think out a better way to solve it, looking for your ideas, thanks.

best,
leo65535

Re:Re:Re:[DISCUSS] Upgrade flink version

Posted by leo65535 <le...@163.com>.

Hi, developers

In this stage, we should not move forward recklessly, it's better to choose flink-1.13.5 as the new version.

The develop api of flink1.13 has better compatibility, it contains old and new api,

this will help us upgrade the version. And flink cdc[1] requires 1.13 version, it can't work with flink.1.14.

Ok, here my detail steps to upgrade the version.

Step1: Upgrade the flink to 1.13, ensure the original components are available as much as possible.

Step2: In order to let sql and conf job share the same connectors, we need to add new job conf parser, and new core api

Step3: Rich the connectors based on new core api.

[1] https://github.com/ververica/flink-cdc-connectors

Best wishes,
Leo65535

Posted by leo65535 <le...@163.com>.

Yeah, this is a big change, need more developers are needed to participate in the discussion.

Best,
Leo65535

在 2021-12-23 16:02:49,"zhuangchong" <zh...@163.com> 写道:

Posted by zhuangchong <zh...@163.com>.