Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jos Chrispijn <ap...@webrz.net> on 2009/07/26 09:45:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Default page location

I would like to force all domain requests _not_ being defined in my
httpd.conf to be shown a special pre-defined web page with the requested
domein displayed in that page. Can someone please tell me how I can do
this? Web pages etc. are no problem, just the way to configure this in
Apache setup. Thanks.

Jos Chrispijn

Re: [users@httpd] Default page location

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
Krist van Besien wrote:

> Normally all requests for virtual hosts not defined in your httpd.conf
> will be handled by the default virtual host, which is the first one.
> So in your httpd.conf you jsut add a virtualhost before all others. In
> this virtual host you can just have a default page. Maybe even a cgi
> script that generates a page with the name of the domain. Is this what
> you want?

Trivial point: I'd incline to SSI in preference to CGI for this.
But not important.

More to the point, the OP's description sounds like an attempt
to set up an error page, for requests that the server isn't
expecting.  So why not drop the default page, leave the
default virtualhost empty (or forbidden), and use an
ErrorDocument to present to the user.

That way you won't get unfortunate side-effects like Google
indexing your not-there page.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Default page location

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Jos Chrispijn<ap...@webrz.net> wrote:
> I would like to force all domain requests _not_ being defined in my
> httpd.conf to be shown a special pre-defined web page with the requested
> domein displayed in that page. Can someone please tell me how I can do this?
> Web pages etc. are no problem, just the way to configure this in Apache
> setup. Thanks.

Normally all requests for virtual hosts not defined in your httpd.conf
will be handled by the default virtual host, which is the first one.
So in your httpd.conf you jsut add a virtualhost before all others. In
this virtual host you can just have a default page. Maybe even a cgi
script that generates a page with the name of the domain. Is this what
you want?

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com