Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Skip <sk...@thedevers.org> on 2012/05/03 21:14:08 UTC

Special Order Items Requirement

I have a requirement to model special orders.  These are items that an order
is taken for, a supplier is found, and the item ordered from that supplier.
It is then received and shipped to the customer.

The person who does this tells me that today, he spends 2 to 4 hours a day
doing this because of the requirement to create a supplier, product, cost,
price, etc.  In the old system they used, the pressed a single key for
"Non-Stock Item", entered the description, cost, sale price and were done.
10 seconds instead of 10 minutes.

Because they will never sell the item again, there is no desire to track it
except to make sure that what they were quoted by the vendor is what the
purchase invoice comes in at.

My initial thought was to create a "specialorder" product and then create
multiple ProductFeatures when the item is sold and delete them when the
invoice is received and paid.

This all sound pretty hokey and I am hoping someone has already done this
and can offer some direction.

Thanks

Skip

Re: Special Order Items Requirement

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
BTW this could be interesting to be contributed ...
But then a proper discussion in dev ML before is recommended

Jacques

From: "Venkat Mangudi" <ve...@gmail.com>

Posted by Venkat Mangudi <ve...@gmail.com>.
This requirement is pretty much standard in markets where the vendor
purchases items specifically for certain customers and might never sell
that item again. My two cents would be that it might make sense to create a
separate UI to do this, but in the background call the respective services
to create the product, supplier etc. It might probably be a little more
than 10 seconds, but definitely less than 10 minutes.

--Venkat

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Skip <sk...@thedevers.org> wrote:

> I have a requirement to model special orders.  These are items that an
> order
> is taken for, a supplier is found, and the item ordered from that supplier.
> It is then received and shipped to the customer.
>
> The person who does this tells me that today, he spends 2 to 4 hours a day
> doing this because of the requirement to create a supplier, product, cost,
> price, etc.  In the old system they used, the pressed a single key for
> "Non-Stock Item", entered the description, cost, sale price and were done.
> 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes.
>
> Because they will never sell the item again, there is no desire to track it
> except to make sure that what they were quoted by the vendor is what the
> purchase invoice comes in at.
>
> My initial thought was to create a "specialorder" product and then create
> multiple ProductFeatures when the item is sold and delete them when the
> invoice is received and paid.
>
> This all sound pretty hokey and I am hoping someone has already done this
> and can offer some direction.
>
> Thanks
>
> Skip

Venkat