Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vladimir Belov <ml...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/30 06:19:58 UTC

[users@httpd] perfomance of Apache on Windows

Hello,

What is the performance of Apache on Windows in comparison with performance
on Unix/Linux?

I must make a decision between IIS and Apache. And I want to use Apache, but
in some forums I knew information that the perfomance of Apache on Windows
is more badly than on Unix/Linux. I need to use Windows OS and so can
anybody technical competent person answer?

Or how I can ask this question to the developers of Apache?  It's very
necessary for me to know.

P.S. Apache Development Main Discussion List is closed for beginners.

Re: [users@httpd] perfomance of Apache on Windows

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Vladimir Belov
<ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the performance of Apache on Windows in comparison with performance
> on Unix/Linux?

Benchmark them on your hardware with your applications and workload if
performance is important.

> I must make a decision between IIS and Apache. And I want to use Apache, but
> in some forums I knew information that the perfomance of Apache on Windows
> is more badly than on Unix/Linux. I need to use Windows OS and so can
> anybody technical competent person answer?

Why would the performance relative to other platforms matter?

> Or how I can ask this question to the developers of Apache?  It's very
> necessary for me to know.

Doesn't really seem on-topic for the development list.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] perfomance of Apache on Windows

Posted by "tevans.uk" <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Vladimir Belov
<ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand what you say. Do you know how I can ask the developers of
> Apache? I think they must do these benchmark tests between Apache&IIS. It is
> in their interests.

Seems it is in your interests rather than theirs! Apache on windows
runs very nicely; how it stacks up against IIS for your particular
application is for you to measure. Look at benchmarking tools like ab,
flood and siege.

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] perfomance of Apache on Windows

Posted by Vladimir Belov <ml...@gmail.com>.
>I think you should better ask for a comparison between Apache on Windows
>and
> IIS and not for one between Apache on Windows and Apache on Linux.

Yes. Who can give me a competent answer?

> Have you searched for
> benchmark apache iis
> with Google?

I want to hear a competent answer from the developers. Do you know how I can
do it?

>Why would the performance relative to other platforms matter?

Because if the performance of Apache will be significantly bad on Windows in
comparison with one that on Linux I will study Linux OS. :) Only
significantly bad performance on Windows can force to make me it.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5073 (20100429) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5074 (20100430) __________

http://www.eset.com