Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2005/01/30 05:37:57 UTC

[announcement/proposal] Moving Linotype out of Cocoon

As some of you know, my personal blog runs on this software called
"Linotype" that I wrote for myself (on top of cocoon) and then donated
to the project to show an example of how simple it was to build even a
real-life webapp with flow.

For this reason, Linotype ended being a cocoon example, rather than a
blog. It has nice and innovative features (even more innovating than
most content management solutions out there), but it lacks some basic
configurability. As a result, I've been maintaining a forked version on
my own and failed to keep the cocoon one and my own up to date.

Linotype had 4 different 'releases' (each driven by my personal
frustration with some of its limitations), only two of those made it
inside cocoon. I'm now working on the 5 major release, which is pretty
much a complete rewrite of the internals and thus will be called
Linotype 2.0, but since it will be based on RDF technologies, I have
decided to place it on simile.mit.edu (site that I administer for my day
job) and that might give more direct visibility than as a hidden cocoon
example in its own block.

The new linotype codebase is all my code, but I have decided to keep the
same licenses in case I missed a few lines here and there of those
contributions that were made here by others. Also, I don't want this to
be a fork, but a migration.

For this reason, I propose that we discontinue the distribution of
Linotype inside cocoon as a block, by deprecating it in the next 2.1.x
release and by removing it alltogether in 2.2

Of course, the project will remain an open development project and I
will welcome people to try it out and participate in its development.

The Linotype 2.0 will feature easy configurability and skinning support,
things that will make it more appealing for other users that don't want
their blog to look just like mine.

Anyway, what do you think?

--
Stefano.

Re: [announcement/proposal] Moving Linotype out of Cocoon

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> For this reason, I propose that we discontinue the distribution of
> Linotype inside cocoon as a block, by deprecating it in the next 2.1.x
> release and by removing it alltogether in 2.2
>
> Of course, the project will remain an open development project and I
> will welcome people to try it out and participate in its development.
>
> The Linotype 2.0 will feature easy configurability and skinning
> support, things that will make it more appealing for other users that
> don't want their blog to look just like mine.
>
> Anyway, what do you think?

Well, since I've never looked at the block I guess I don't have a
problem with this.  Since you are saying you will provide an alternative
site for an improved version and since the old version will still be
available, albeit deprecated, I think this is reasonable.

+0 (OK by me, but don't have the bandwidth to help).

Ralph

Re: [announcement/proposal] Moving Linotype out of Cocoon

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 30.01.2005 05:37, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> For this reason, I propose that we discontinue the distribution of
> Linotype inside cocoon as a block, by deprecating it in the next 2.1.x
> release and by removing it alltogether in 2.2

+1

Joerg

Re: [announcement/proposal] Moving Linotype out of Cocoon

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> As some of you know, my personal blog runs on this software called
> "Linotype" that I wrote for myself (on top of cocoon) and then donated
> to the project to show an example of how simple it was to build even a
> real-life webapp with flow.
>
> For this reason, Linotype ended being a cocoon example, rather than a
> blog. It has nice and innovative features (even more innovating than
> most content management solutions out there), but it lacks some basic
> configurability. As a result, I've been maintaining a forked version on
> my own and failed to keep the cocoon one and my own up to date.
>
> Linotype had 4 different 'releases' (each driven by my personal
> frustration with some of its limitations), only two of those made it
> inside cocoon. I'm now working on the 5 major release, which is pretty
> much a complete rewrite of the internals and thus will be called
> Linotype 2.0, but since it will be based on RDF technologies, I have
> decided to place it on simile.mit.edu (site that I administer for my day
> job) and that might give more direct visibility than as a hidden cocoon
> example in its own block.
>
> The new linotype codebase is all my code, but I have decided to keep the
> same licenses in case I missed a few lines here and there of those
> contributions that were made here by others. Also, I don't want this to
> be a fork, but a migration.
>
> For this reason, I propose that we discontinue the distribution of
> Linotype inside cocoon as a block, by deprecating it in the next 2.1.x
> release and by removing it alltogether in 2.2
>
> Of course, the project will remain an open development project and I
> will welcome people to try it out and participate in its development.
>
> The Linotype 2.0 will feature easy configurability and skinning support,
> things that will make it more appealing for other users that don't want
> their blog to look just like mine.
>
> Anyway, what do you think?

+1

Carsten

Re: [announcement/proposal] Moving Linotype out of Cocoon

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> As some of you know, my personal blog runs on this software called
> "Linotype" that I wrote for myself (on top of cocoon) and then donated
> to the project to show an example of how simple it was to build even a
> real-life webapp with flow.
>
> For this reason, Linotype ended being a cocoon example, rather than a
> blog. It has nice and innovative features (even more innovating than
> most content management solutions out there), but it lacks some basic
> configurability. As a result, I've been maintaining a forked version
> on my own and failed to keep the cocoon one and my own up to date.
>
> Linotype had 4 different 'releases' (each driven by my personal
> frustration with some of its limitations), only two of those made it
> inside cocoon. I'm now working on the 5 major release, which is pretty
> much a complete rewrite of the internals and thus will be called
> Linotype 2.0, but since it will be based on RDF technologies, I have
> decided to place it on simile.mit.edu (site that I administer for my
> day job) and that might give more direct visibility than as a hidden
> cocoon example in its own block.
>
> The new linotype codebase is all my code, but I have decided to keep
> the same licenses in case I missed a few lines here and there of those
> contributions that were made here by others. Also, I don't want this
> to be a fork, but a migration.
>
> For this reason, I propose that we discontinue the distribution of
> Linotype inside cocoon as a block, by deprecating it in the next 2.1.x
> release and by removing it alltogether in 2.2
>
> Of course, the project will remain an open development project and I
> will welcome people to try it out and participate in its development.
>
> The Linotype 2.0 will feature easy configurability and skinning
> support, things that will make it more appealing for other users that
> don't want their blog to look just like mine.
>
> Anyway, what do you think?

+1

Moving blocks outside Cocoon, will increase our (and especially your ;)
) motivation to make real blocks happen.

We should IMO have a list of links to external blocks with a short
description about what the block does.

/Daniel

Re: [announcement/proposal] Moving Linotype out of Cocoon

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Anyway, what do you think?

+0.5

I don't mind where it's being hosted
but let us know where we can help :)

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [announcement/proposal] Moving Linotype out of Cocoon

Posted by Geoff Howard <ge...@gmail.com>.
Sounds fine.  (not +1 because this isn't a vote and one isn't needed).

I look forward to test-driving the new improved version, and the
potential for further symbiosis with MIT & W3C

Geoff

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

<snip/>

> For this reason, I propose that we discontinue the distribution of
> Linotype inside cocoon as a block, by deprecating it in the next 2.1.x
> release and by removing it alltogether in 2.2
>
> Of course, the project will remain an open development project and I
> will welcome people to try it out and participate in its development.
>
> The Linotype 2.0 will feature easy configurability and skinning
> support, things that will make it more appealing for other users that
> don't want their blog to look just like mine.
>
> Anyway, what do you think?

+1. May not be able to help, but will follow this with great interest.

Sylvain